Video Performance Issues!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krazy9000, Aug 10, 2009.

1. krazy9000 macrumors newbie

Hey all! I'm new here and this is my first post. Does anyone else have video performance issues with the 15" 2.16Ghz MBP? I am working with 3gigs of RAM here, and yet videos skip and stutter CONSTANTLY! Initially it seemed to only happen to hd videos (720p), but now it seems to happen to any kind of video file I play. The player I'm using is VLC, as that seems to cause the least amount of problems. If I use quicktime it's worse. Could it possibly be caused by the slow (5400RPM) HD which is steadily filling up? I'm at a complete loss, and it's really making me hate this thing! Any help would be great.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Use the script to clear your VLC preferences that comes in the installer disk image. I'd give Plex and MPlayer OS X Extended a try as well.

3. krazy9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried clearing the preferences... no luck with that. I'm going to give Plex a try now to see how that works out.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is there anything else in Activity Monitor using your CPU time? Remember to show all processes.

5. krazy9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.twitpic.com/dgso3

There's a quick pic of what's typically running at any given time. Transmission isn't ALWAYS running, and even when it's not running I still get the stutter issues.

6. krazy9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying out Plex right now and it seems to be doing OK so far. Thanks for pointing me towards this program! I hadn't heard of it up until now.