Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racer38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
MA
Which gives better display performance, HDMI or using the Thunderbolt connection for the display?

I am a new Mac convert and loving every minute of it, just couldnt find any info on this.

Thanks

Craig
" I drank the Koolaid, and it was GOOD"

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
They're the same generally speaking, the only difference is when you want to use a super high screen resolution like on a 4K-capable monitor - then DisplayPort (Thunderbolt connector) will need to be used, the version of HDMI currently used in Mac minis doesn't have the bandwidth for it.

Racer38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
MA
Thanks for the info, the prices on 4k monitors continues to drop so I may get one in the future, maybe Black Friday if the deals are right.

Thanks again

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for the info, the prices on 4k monitors continues to drop so I may get one in the future, maybe Black Friday if the deals are right.

Thanks again

So just to clear up a few things...

Since you posted this in the Mini forum, I assume you are asking about Mini's.

If that is the case, then the only Mini capable of 4K is the 2014's via HDMI at only 30hz. The Thunderbolt ports on any Mini (whether 2011, 2012, or 2014) are only capable of a max of 2560x1600.

As far as which one is superior, they are both a digital signal so all things being equal there shouldn't be any difference....

Racer38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
MA
Thanks Paul, Yes I have a 2012 version I bought it right before the 2014's came out. Coin toss on whether I should have waited, but the new ones are a bit pricey for the additional ram which you cant add yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.