Video PIP - only iTunes movies and FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akm3, Sep 16, 2015.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

Just making sure there is no way to do this with say YouTube or Twitch and more importantly there is no way for those apps to be updated to support it either?

That's sad if true.

2. cynics macrumors G3

It works with other apps. But only apps that the dev updated to work with it. Hulu for example does PiP, so it's only a matter of time before the more main stream apps are updated to work with PiP.

Side note, I've had to uninstall and reinstall apps that supposedly work with these features to get them to work. Quite annoying, at this point I'm going to just wait for their next normal updates to see if that fixes the issue on its own.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

That is a relief, glad I was wrong about that. So if the devs choose, they can update their video playing app to do PIP on iPad Air 1+

4. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

This is a major disappointment that PiP doesn't work with YouTube. Even if you try running it in Safari it seems. Can't believe this wasn't a priority for the launch of iOS 9.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I don't know... I just used it successfully. I was in Safari and started playing a Youtube video that was linked on a web page. I was able to shift it to picture-in-picture and then go to the home screen with the video still playing. The YouTube app will need to be updated (as will a bunch of other media applications). Safari won't let me open Youtube since I have the app installed, so I can't comment on the website itself. Based on what I just did with the linked video on a website, though, it should work.

6. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I am disappointed about this as well. I wanted to use this for sling box, espn, and MLBtv but none seem to have picked up support yet. I thought during the keynote they showed both MLBtv and ESPN working? Disappointed but hope they add it soon.

7. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

BBC iPlayer supports pip. Hoping YouTube and Plex get the same treatment.

8. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I dont know if Yt will support PIP.... i mean they havent yet supported background audio because they want user to stay on their app. Such a pathetic advertisment company Google it is. I dont use neither of their apps except yt and only on safari.

9. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Anybody notice any other apps pick this feature up yet?

10. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

11. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

That is the splitview, not pip.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, he's saying it works in PIP and in both split view 1/2 and 1/4.

14. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Check out this wiki topic in iOS9 about PIP, Split view, Slide over.

There are already apps out there which support YouTube in PIP such as YouPlayer' by Homegrown Software Ltd, but also Flipboard. But the official Google YouTube doesn't offer it yet indeed.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Why don't we get portrait split view apple??