Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binaryspazz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Trying to figure out what the difference means in video play back.

The ipod Touch is able to play h.264 640X480 lvl 3. While the iphone is able to play this at 320X240, lvl 1.3. Even though one of the iphone specs says 640X480 30fps...

I'm confused.....

I just bought the iphone, just to use as an ipod Touch (maybe hoping for an unlock as well).
If the difference in video is big, maybe i'll return the iphone and get the 16g touch. I would like the ability to play on the TV from my ipod thingy.

I hate these complicated VS things. Someone tell me what to do..please :-D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Trying to figure out what the difference means in video play back.

The ipod Touch is able to play h.264 640X480 lvl 3. While the iphone is able to play this at 320X240, lvl 1.3. Even though one of the iphone specs says 640X480 30fps...

I'm confused.....

I just bought the iphone, just to use as an ipod Touch (maybe hoping for an unlock as well).
If the difference in video is big, maybe i'll return the iphone and get the 16g touch. I would like the ability to play on the TV from my ipod thingy.

The iPhone and the iPod touch (and the classic and the 3G nano) all have the same video playback functionality. It's true. They do.

mcoe19

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
UK
I just saw this now. I thought the video functionality was the same on the iPod and iPhone. Is this just a typo on Apple's part?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales

You bought an iPhone just to use as an iPod? Return it and get the iPod Touch.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to second guess a decision like that.:confused:

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
The iPhone and the iPod touch (and the classic and the 3G nano) all have the same video playback functionality. It's true. They do.

No they don't, unless the iPhone 1.02 update put it in there. The touch supports h.264 at a higher bit-rate than the iPhone's. Not that it really matters for regular use. And, anyway, for the peace of mind of the original poster *they will* support the same video playback just as soon as Apple patches the iPhone to support the higher bit-rate, and they will because the hardware will definitely support it, just as they are going to patch the iPhone to do video-out through the forthcoming dock connector video-out cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.