Video Playback in Portrait Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Aug 8, 2008.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

Perhaps this has already been reported, but I am quite pleased that version 2.0 allows me to play back videos in portrait mode on my iPhone (1st Gen). It used to be that if I played say a music video I would see a static image on my iPhone, much like coverart, if I held it vertically. Turn it on its side and I would see the video. Now I can watch the video in either direction. Kinda nice, especially given you can add music videos to a playlist and they play just like songs, only now you get moving artwork for some. : )

This is also nice because I had considered purchasing an adapter for the speaker unit for my iPhone. I have an Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 (which I love) with which you can only dock the iPhone vertically. So the only way I could see videos before while using the speakers was if I turned the whole contraption sideways - not very practical. No need to do that now, though landscape mode would give me a bigger picture...

Why doesn't Apple create an extension cord for the dock port? I'm sure there are some older speaker units out there that the iPhone or new iPods can't fit into, where an extension cord would help. Wouldn't have to be very long.

2. droeun macrumors member

Can youtube videos now playin portrait mode? I hate only being limited to landscape.

3. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope - still just landscape mode for youtube videos.

4. Harpy007 macrumors regular

I didn't even know you could do that, thanks for the info! :)

5. scottrussell macrumors newbie

Portrait-mode video display

I'm using the 2.0.1 iPhone firmware on a 1st generation device. Some videos can display in portrait-mode (vertical, tall orientation) like video podcasts. But other videos (ie. ripped movies) will only display horizontally.

Does anybody know why this is not consistent across all videos? I really like the option of watching in vertical orientation. Thanks!

Scott
    Leawood, KS

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe you have to set the video kind to "music video" in order for a video to play in portrait mode. I have also been able to play video podcasts in portrait mode by making a playlist for them and syncing that playlist to my Touch, then playing them from that playlist, rather than from the Video menu.

7. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Wow I didn't even realize this was possible hahaha.

8. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Music Videos now play the video when selected from the audio part of the iPod and then when you lock it stop playing the audio therefore meaning you have to sync the audio AND the music video of that song if you want both. :mad:

It's REALLY annoying but you can avert it by playing the track before and skipping to the next one using the clicker or double pressing the home button while locked and tapping next. Still irritating.

9. scottrussell macrumors newbie

Solution confirmed!

Thanks, NIGHTSPRING!

I was reading a bit on the Apple discussion boards, and got the same answer...

Podcasts played from the "podcast" list/icon will play in both portrait and landscape, but if they are played from the "video" list/icon will play in landscape only.