Video Playback issues on Powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hartleymartin, Sep 13, 2016.

1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I have a library of m4v/mp4 videos that I like to watch. Now, they play perfectly when viewed in original size on QuickTime Player 7.6.4 but when I go full screen, I get stuttering. Is there something I should do in terms of configuration or is this just a feature I have to live with?

Details:

- PowerMac G5 7,2 2.0GHz Dual-Processor
    - 4.5GB RAM
    - 640GB SATA HDD
    - NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
    - OSX "Tiger" 10.4.11

This PowerMac G5 will get an upgrade to 8GB of RAM and a more powerful graphics card, the ATI 9600.

Performance of this machine has been pretty darn good in most respects. It manages to boot in 41 seconds flat and that's with an ordinary 7,200rpm HDD! It generally runs well, I have it linked up to a 27" 1080p display and it connects to the internet going via the second ethernet port on my Mac Pro 2008.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    I tried installing VLC 0.9.10. I don't get juddering, but I do seem to get some form of noise or jpeg-artifacting at times.

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

VLC is far more efficient than Quicktime - you can go into the extensive settings to iron out most bugs.

Other players that are more efficient than Quicktime to consider:

Coreplayer, Realplayer, Mplayer and XBMC

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

VLC will very often do video playback MUCH better than Quicktime, so you're on the right track there. I would also suggest installing Perian. Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you're not running Leopard?

https://www.perian.org/

4. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I want classic environment for playing OS9 games. The PowerMac G5 is not my primary computer, I have a rather nice customised 2008 Mac Pro for most things, but most classic games were never ported for Intel Macintoshes. I could have bought a MacMini G4, but I got the G5 tower for $20 and I love to brushed aluminium case!