Video Player Might Be Outdated?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Julika, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Julika macrumors newbie

I'm not sure whats going on with my mac, but every time I'm watching videos online (tv shows, movies) for example, through megashare or putlocker it closes the video and instead displays a message saying that my video player might be outdated and that I should update to the fastest version available. Can someone please let me know how I can fix this? It is starting to get annoying. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 11.07.26 PM.png

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Could be a phishing scam.

First, stop using Chrome. It's a resource hog.

Next, use Safari and try not to use Flash as much as possible. If you must use Flash, download it from the official links at Adobe.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Never seen hat before...
    Very fishy.....
    Maybe it's a scam? o_O

What extensions do you use?

4. Julika thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure what extensions I use, or what you mean by that. I just recently purchased my mac, and I'm not very tech savvy.

----------

Thank you! I removed chrome, but I also get a similar message when I use megashare, putlocker or similar video formats in Safari too. I really don't know why it started doing this. I used to use megashare or websites alike without having this problem.

5. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Ignore those warnings. Install adblock/adblock plus and you'll probably see those kinds of things go away. Find safer/better known sites for streaming stuff online. Those kinds of "warnings" contain loads of malware when you go ahead and install them. You'll suddenly find stupid toolbars on your browser and weird programs installed on your hard drive.
    Best,

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I mean Google Chrome extensions
    Those alerts may be in the site itself and nothing to do with your os