Video player with Picture in Picture support

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raeserbil, Nov 14, 2015.

1. raeserbil macrumors newbie

Is there a video player for iPad that supports Picture in Picture and can handle mkv's? I know that the native video player supports it, but I don't want to convert all my mkv files just to be able to use PiP on the iPad. As for now I am using AVPlayerHD and just transfer my video files over Wifi but I would really love to have PiP.

2. yegon macrumors 68020

Unfortunately PIP appears to be currently restricted to only Apple stock video formats judging by the Infuse support thread. Most annoying.

3. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Indeed unfortunately Apple is only allowing Quick Time videos in Picture in Picture (PiP) the apps that support this for local video (iPad or via NAS or other local network devices are nPlayer, Plex, FileBrowser, FileBrowser Lite (as also mentioned in this wiki topic).

You can ofcourse play various video formats (including MKV) on your iDevices with e.g. Infuse 3 Pro, VidOn Player or nPlayer but these cannot show PiP for MKV due to Apple's limitations.

4. IvanX macrumors 6502

By Quick Time videos, do you mean MP4s or MOV files?

5. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

I can't find the exact details on the Apple developer page about PiP here or here. This what I've heard from e.g. the developer of Infuse 3 Pro and have seen in descriptions of e.g. the nPlayer update.