Video player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VortexMK, Apr 20, 2013.

1. VortexMK macrumors member

VortexMK

Which video players, beside VLC Player, do you suggest?

I know VLC is one of the best, but I would like to try and some other players...

I'm new on a Mac OS X... I used Daum Pot Player on Windows, and I liked it a lot.

One more thing... I know that VLC Player has its own codecs, so tell me please which codec pack should I install in order to try other players because I haven't installed any (because I use VLC right now).

I'm using 27" iMac (late 2012) and Mountain Lion 10.8.3.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no need to install any codec packs besides Perian perhaps, but Movist, MPlayer and MPlayer X can play many files without codec packs quite well.

To play back video files in Mac OS X or OS X you can use the following applications:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. macalec macrumors 6502

Perian is no longer supported/available which is sad! Do you know of the alternatives for that?

4. simsaladimbamba

It is no longer supported, but it is still available to download from the site I linked to (at the bottom right - scrolling may have to be invoked).

I do not know of any alternative, but I installed Perian an hour or two ago and it works with QuickLook and AVI and MKV files.

5. VortexMK thread starter macrumors member

VortexMK

Thank You!

I tried MPlayerX and I wasn't something delighted... VLC Player seems the best for me... I even doesn't have the playlist...

Thanks once again.

6. simsaladimbamba

VLC Player does have a playlist function:

[​IMG]

7. VortexMK thread starter macrumors member

VortexMK

Yes, sorry, I meant MPlayerX doesn't have a playlist function, not VLC... I didn't write correctly...

8. dyn macrumors 68030

Perian is EoL and it is noticeable on Mountain Lion (and iirc also on Lion). Not everything works properly. You'll have much better luck with VLC and MPlayerX. VLC and MPlayerX are similar in functionality. There are minor differences so installing both and using the one that works best for that particular file is recommended.

Newer versions of MPlayerX are no longer available through the MAS, only through the website. There still is a version on the MAS though but it is an outdated version (1.0.14; the current version at this time of writing is 1.0.17). As the warning in the MAS version already states: get MPlayerX from the website: MPlayerX.org.

Be careful with the information from GGJstudios. Some of it is outdated, some parts of it are not correct (for various reasons like not being applicable to the OS X version you are running). It's there to get you started, not to be the solution to your problem.

9. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, I recently found that out too, but have not updated my snippet.

As to Mister GGJstudios' Helpful Information for Mac Users, I just link to it to get people started understanding Mac OS X, as it still contains valid links to actual and current guides from Apple. I do not post it to simply answer any question, but the OP mentioned being new to OS X, thus the link.