iPad video players for car trip?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thumb, Mar 18, 2013.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

Hi all

I am planning a few long car trips in a minivan this summer with three young kids (!!?!)

We dont want to install a fixed entertainment system. I dont want to buy them each their own iPad!

Most of the obvious solutions are dual car dvd sets of questionable quality. The thing is, we own almost no DVDs, with all of our kids movies in iTunes.

Are there relatively cheap just video players that will play whatever the default itunes format is? Ideally they would be equipped to run off a car cigarette lighter. Compatibility with bluetooth headphones would be awesome too.

Any slick suggestions?

2. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

How about just throw a laptop back there and let them watch the big screen?

3. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
  4. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

That device mentioned HDMI OUTPUT, does that mean it would also accept input?

I have also found this, which is basically a pair of external monitors for iPhones in the car. I have ordered it and will test it out
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FZN55A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1:

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Two displays and all the connectivity for $80???? (I suppose it's because it uses the old connector?) I don't even need this and I can barely resist!

I noticed a few of the reviews mentioning low audio -- maybe they were trying to listen to external speakers(?). It says it includes a headphone splitter....

Speaking of audio, assuming you're going to use two sets of headphones, AND assuming there's only one volume control, make sure the headphones have similar audio characteristics. Otherwise, one set may be blasting ear drums while the other is just barely audible. I've run into this before.

Please report back once you try them out. By then I should have come up with a reason to get this. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Tom

6. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

It arrives today so I will let you know. The audio seems to be regarding the built in speakers, but I plan to use headphones (they are matching). The old connector works great for me, as I will just jam my old iPhone 3gs with movies keeping my current one for me.

I hope this works out. otherwise i think it is a pair of kindle fires for them. kids freetime unlimited seems compelling.

7. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    A review said it had input, so you could hook up a game system to it. I don't have one myself, so I was just offering up what I found in a quick search.

I'd be interested to see how what you found works.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. A car charger would be all you need.