Video playlists

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by blurij, Apr 1, 2011.

1. blurij macrumors newbie

How hard is it to program a video playlist that would play videos in the list randomly - not just in sequence from top to bottom ? The program would just pick a video from the list play it and then pick another one randomly and not repeat pick until the whole list has been played.

iTunes freezes when even trying to use shuffle mode when videos are playlisted.

Why is a random feature not available in any video playlist - Real Player, VLC, iTunes, etc. ? I have been on a quest for this holy grail for years. Have spoken with Apple techs and 3rd party developers.

Haven't got anywhere else with this question so I thought I'd try Programming. Thanks much

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Maybe the easiest way would be to have a program that creates a shuffled playlist which you could then open in a player. Most playlist formats are plain text and fairly simple.

If your player of choice can accept a playlist as a command-line arg, perhaps you could automatically launch the player and have it start playing the shuffled playlist.