Video Problem, Which combination?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nxfxcom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

i have an early 2008 mac pro with the 8800GT and the default ATI it came with.
    Today arrived my new ATI RADEON HD 4870, i have 2 screens and one Cintiq (tablet screen) so i need 2 cards, which one should i use with the 4870?

Thank you

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Considering that the Cintiq will probably be a lower resolution then your other two monitors (I assume), you should keep one of them on the 4870 and run the other two off of the 8800 GT. Just my opinion; my opinion also wants a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter to run both screens off of the 4870.

3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you,

unfortuanly the 8800 needs a power plug as well,
    and my mac has only 2 power sockets, so i am stuck with the old ati card with my new one

Thank you!

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Actung! That complicates things... Well, I personally would try and route power from the molex connectors to the 8800GT. If you don't feel like doing that, you should try and get a MiniDisplayPort to DVI connector - You would need the single-link for lower resolutions, and dual link for higher (Above 1920x1200, if wikipedia serves correctly). Still, running the higher-resolution monitor on the 4870 is a must to get the most out of it.

5. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

LOL,

first problem with the new Card!

Attached Files:

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, now I have no idea. Did you follow the installation instructions correctly? I'm sure you did, but just making sure... To me, it would seem that the driver has not been installed, or there needs to be some update.

Anybody else want to chime in on this?

7. grue macrumors 65816

Avoid the mini displayport to dual link adapter, it's crap.

8. ekoe macrumors member

I received an error message very similar to the one you've encountered, although it was not caused by the ATI Radeon 4870. I have an '09 MP with ATI 4870 and a Blackmagic Decklink video I/O card.
    It was the Decklink causing the 'openGL' error message when I would attempt to open Color. A setting in the Blackmagic preferences, extended desktop, was causing this error. The remedy was to disable 'extended desktop'.
    Don't know if that helps but what the hay. Maybe it's a display preference setting? Maybe try poking around system preferences->displays?

9. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

that picture reminds me of the USSR! Well... the logo does. lol

10. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

Dr Pants referred to the solution - if you want more details on powering up cards needing a total of 3 or 4 PCI power connectors take a look at the photo and links at

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=693969&page=4

I put up a pic of my rig only to be told by Cindori how to do it much better, so follow the Cindori link as well. Now looks like two cards each needing two 6-pin connectors is fine.