Video problem?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atomicbop, Dec 1, 2009.

1. atomicbop macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2009
    Well, I'm not sure where to post this. It's more of a wtf than a question.

I was browsing the internet, not doing anything major, put the computer to sleep, came back 10 minutes later... black screen.

I messed with it for an hour or so and determined that the video card went bad (I'm guessing. It's a mid 2007 macbook pro with the nvidia geforce 8600m. My secondary monitor remains black as well). In the midst of totally freaking out, I decided to activate the voiceover utility, enable screen sharing (after figuring out a slew of keyboard commands I didn't know about), and logged in from my girlfriends computer.

I immediately closed all the windows and applications that I had inadvertently opened during the blind wtf session, and opened up system profiler to see if it is recognizing a video card. Well, it is! It's listing the video card as a GMA x3100!

I guess my question is, why the hell is it doing that? Is there a secondary card in there? Cause if there is, it's not working either. Or is that just a default they would put in if it doesn't recognize a video card? Doesn't seem likely. Or, because I'm using screen sharing, is it picking up my girlfriends card? It's not, because she's using a GMA 950. Maybe it's splitting the difference? Weird.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an appointment at the Apple Store. Hopefully they upgrade my card. I don't want this problem when my warranty runs out.
  2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2008
    Yes, that is the 8600M issue. Your machine has a GMA X3100, it is built into the Northbridge. It is using that as a fallback, or at least thinks it is. Go to your Genius appointment, they'll swap the logic board for one that has a GPU from after the manufacturing fixes were done.