Video problems in Windows 98

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Jul 20, 2008.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hey all, I'm back again with more PC questions.:eek:

To keep this short, I'll be blunt. I had a PC running XP, switched out the hard drive with one that had Windows 98 on it, and there's one problem I keep having. The display proerties will not let me go above 16 colors, and it only let's me use the 640 x 480 resolution, nothing else. And I can't for the life of me figure out why, my graphics card is much more then able to run everything at full settings.:confused:

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ahh, yes. The famous Windows-won't-display-hardly-anything.

It's your driver. You need to find one that is Windows 98 compatible.

Now, another question. What are you doing using Windows 98? I mean, I can see maybe for a little bit just for nostalgia, but do you plan on keeping that hard drive in there?

Maybe I'm just too modernistic...

3. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

The thing is, this also happened on the PC that I took the hard drive out of, which was supposedly "designed for Windows 98".:rolleyes:

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Regardles, you need the correct graphics driver for the machine the drive in now on. Go to the PC manufacturer's Web site and look under the support section for a Win98 graphics driver, or do a search @ Google for the graphic-card-model-number + Win98 + driver.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You also know, you can install XP on the replacement drive, as long as its in the same computer it was on before.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If your not sure what card you have, download Aida32 that might be able to tell you what your running so you can find the right driver

7. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, right now, I'm just being nostalgic. Also, I was bored and happened to have an old hard drive with Windows 98 SE on it, so I put it in.

I eventually plan to put in my hard drive with XP as well, and be able to dual boot. Right now, I'm just trying to get all the kinks worked out in 98 first.

8. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Thank you so much! It told me exactly what I needed. Now I can view things in their true colors, and webpages are now longer grainy. :) Thank you again!