Video Problems Macbook Pro 4.1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hakr100, Dec 11, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Howdy.

I have an "early 2008" Macbook Pro 4.1 with 15" screen, running Lion.

Until recently, operation was flawless.

Now, when I turn on computer, I get a bit of flashing at first, with light horizontal lines across the screen, and lighter and darker sections. Then the screen goes black for about 30 seconds. Then everything clears up and the screen is fine.

Clues? I'm thinking of taking the machine up to the nearby Apple store for a check-up.

Appreciate any suggestions...is there a diagnostic I can run before I head for the store?

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Failed nVidia 8600GT GPU, off to the apple store for a replacement logicboard you go.

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys...have appointment for this week.

When you say, "replace logicboard," do you mean the motherboard in the Macbook Pro, or just a video board that connects or plugs into it?

In either case, what does the store replace it with? A motherboard with a different GPU? A different videoboard?

Thanks, again.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Check this short thread for discussions about the 8600 GT issue (120 pages!):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

The logic board is the mainboard of the macbook, including the CPU and GPU and all other controllers and extensions. They replace it with the same model.