Video problems on a Mac Pro G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bgrymes, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bgrymes macrumors newbie

First problem, first post.
    I've been a Mac user for several years now and have always had good luck with my Macs. Unfortunately my friend wasn't so lucky and decided to ditch his G5 and opt out of the Mac format. In the process, he handed my his bum machine. So here I am trying to trouble shoot the machine and see if I can't not breath some life back into it. It is a video problem from what I can tell and when my friend took it into Apple to get an estimate on what might be wrong the simply told him it's either the video card or logic board. He just decided to go buy another computer and not deal with what could be an expensive bill to get this one working again. I am in the same position, as I am not prepared to throw my money around on a G5 without a little guidance and I feel like Apple will charge me an arm and a leg to get it working again. If it can be a cheap fix, I am all for it but if not there is no reason to try and bring this Mac back to life as I already use a much faster Macbook Pro. This would merely serve as a nice backup machine and potentially a server.

Attached is an image of what I see when I turn on the computer. You'll notice there is no hard drive present as my friend Ryan wanted to hold onto it. The computer would boot up just fine with the HD present, but the information displayed on the screen is far from normal. I am not sure how to describe the display so please take a look. I presume someone has had some experience with this before. If you could point me in the right direction and/or give me some insight on what I am dealing with it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

Attached Files:

2. mando1246 macrumors newbie

mando1246

Do you know what kind of video card is in it? As I know there was a problem on the GForce cards that were in MacPros, not sure if this one would be in this machine.

3. bgrymes thread starter macrumors newbie

I really have no idea what the card is. I've attached images of the front and back of the card if you might be able to determine the brand and model. Could you tell me more about the problem on the Gforce you are thinking about?

Attached Files:

4. mando1246 macrumors newbie

mando1246

I know I had to "upgrade" many Radeon X1900 cards because of a "known issue" when I work there. I tried searching for the specifics just now, however, when I don't have the "employee" database it's impossible. Might have been an internal document. If you know the generation of the G5, specifically, get the serial number, we can look up what kind of card is in that particular machine.

Can you boot to an install disk or does the screen just stay like that?

5. bgrymes thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is my serial number, but still trying to figure out what generation this Power Mac is. xb34502fnv9. I am clueless on how to check what my hardware spec are via the apple.com website.

Near the serial number, it also says, "1.6ghz/256mb 333/80gb/sd/r9600/56k" I would have to imagine my card is the R9600, making it this one potentially... Apple ATI RADEON 9600 XT