Video Problems With White Sections Of Movies

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AZYUMA86, Dec 12, 2007.

1. AZYUMA86 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I have a 16GB Touch and have a question pertaining to videos on the Touch.

First, the problem occurs with movies/tv shows and only happens during white parts of the show. For example, if I were watching something like the Simpsons and the show was zoomed in on Homer's white shirt, I will see what looks like compression blocks. However, there is no compression at any other times or with any other colors. This only happens with shows which have a section with a lot of white. Also, if I watch this video on my PC the blocks are NOT there.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with my Touch's screen or simply a limitation of videos on the Touch/Small LCD device that I am unaware of. Or maybe something that happens when converting videos. I'm not sure. I also know that it isn't simply a problem with all whites as there are no problems with an all white picture or white areas of web pages, only white areas of movies.

Again, just wondering if its my screen or something I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Can you post the first several numbers/letters of your iPod's serial number, or if you know how to check which week number it was made in, which one is it ?

3. AZYUMA86 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a week 38.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Okay... wait for more help. I don't even have a touch yet (13 days to go) so can't help you, but that bit of info will be useful to someone. Good luck...!!

5. AZYUMA86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I decided to upload a few second clip in order to find out if the problem is with my Touch screen or my compression method.

http://files.filefront.com/Testmp4/;9243056;/fileinfo.html

The video is only a few seconds long and the file is about 500kb big, so it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to download.

With the video, and on my Touch, I notice white compression looking blocks as soon as the the video starts. As the camera pans those blocks are in the sky scene as well.

I'd appreciate anyone who tries this video and helps me with my problem. If you notice the white blocks at all let me know. Thanks!

6. AZYUMA86 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Mackan macrumors 65816

Haven't tried your vid, but when I use Videora to convert .avi to .mp4, I can get these blocks you are talking about, on gray or white areas. I have always believed it was due to the compression...

8. AZYUMA86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I figured it had something to do with compression but just wanted to be sure while the unit is still under warranty.