Video project NTSC Pal help needed

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeheenan, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I have a movie on DVD that is in PAL format, and the soundtrack is in German. I also have the same movie on DVD in NTSC format, with an english soundtrack. The PAL version has a much, much better picture than the NTSC version, so I'm wondering if there's some way I can combine the PAL picture with the NTSC soundtrack? There's a difference in the running time of each, so I'm not sure which is the best way to do this. I know I can demux the DVDs of each version, but is there a way to convert the soundtrack from NTSC to PAL? I want to preserve the picture as best as I can.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You'd have to pull the audio from the NTSC track (29.97 fps) down to PAL speed (25 fps). The easiest way to do that would be to de-mux the video to editable Quicktime movies (presumably a DV PAL codec) and then drop the audio from the NTSC disc into a proper PAL sequence containing the PAL video in FCP to re-sync. FCP should in theory pull the audio down to match the sequence automatically.

This would be all assuming, of course, that the running time differences between the two discs are due to NTSC vs. PAL. Are both movies identical, edit-wise?

Also keep in mind that this process of demuxing and later re-compressing the video back to DVD-compliant MPEG-2 video can affect picture quality.