Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hi Guys,

My internet has gone down so I've reverted to plugging my laptop into the TV via HDMI and WOW!!!

Its like I've gone from standard def to High Def!

I can't test my apple TV till the internet is running but I can see my settings are set to auto which says is currently 1080p 60hz.

The auto setting sounds right but is it possible when I'm watching a movie is that downgrading the resolution?

what do you guys have your settings at?

Also because my internet is down the Apple TV is essentially bricked.. it can read my home sharing computer but none of my videos are playing because it needs internet to authenticate.. is there a way round this?

Thanks

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Why does it need to authenticate so often? If you must, just tether your mobile phone.

Video quality is often reduced to make streaming smooth. What is your network configuration?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Why does it need to authenticate so often? If you must, just tether your mobile phone.

Video quality is often reduced to make streaming smooth. What is your network configuration?

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure why it needs to authenticate when home sharing to the Apple TV. I've done the tether thing to get it going and its 50/50 if it works or not..

Its a real shame that it needs the internet all the time.. I seem to get an annual fault on my broadband and when it goes down its a real pain because we've gotten rid of live TV.

My network config when its working is Time capsule dishing out the WIFI with a airport express extending it down to the apple TV. I have full WIFI strength and my speed is a round 40-50 meg in the living room..

I'll have to take it off the auto setting to see if It stays in 1080p mode. I was really shocked at the difference in quality.. I've really been missing out.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Extending witelessly like that means your Express is forcing your Time Capsule into n Wi-Fi mode for everyone if it is an ac-capable model. It also wastes around half the throughout to the Apple TV, after the speed drop due to distance from Time Capsule to Express.

I would first try Wi-Fi straight from your Time Capsule to Apple TV and if it is not good enough I would look at a powerline ethernet adaptor to get over near your Apple TV via mains power wiring.

Another thing you can do is run ethernet as long as you can from Apple TV to Express and so that the Express is closer to the Time Capsule for the best possible signal, and configure the Express to join the Time Capsule network rather than adding to or extending it. That is called Client Mode and this will avoid the throughout overhead and let the Time Capsule work in ac Wi-Fi mode, providing and even faster and stronger signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.