video quality when uploading to youtube

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scdubie, Jan 2, 2009.

1. scdubie macrumors newbie

so i've been using Final Cut Express 4 to edit my movies that i've imported from a Pinnacle Dazzle device for Macs. the quality is superb when i'm working on it in FCE4, but when i export it for use in iMovie or iMovie HD, the quality takes a turn for the worse. I have the easy setup configured to HD in FCE4 and im capturing from an HD source onto an HD tv. Can anyone help me figure out how to get my videos onto youtube with the quality i'm hoping for?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I see that this is your first post here at MacRumors Forums and would like to be the first to welcome you. I hope that we can fix your exporting problem and and answer any questions or problems you may have.
    First of all, why are you exporting for use in iMovie? You are able to do everything in FCE that you can do in iMovie. When you export, depending on your settings, some quality can and will be lost.
    Second of all, when uploading to YouTube, a lot of quality will be lost. This is because all videos on YT are Flash encoded as well with videos on a lot of other sharing sites like Vimeo. YT currently offers 3 qualities, normal, high and HD. Your video is eligible for high quality if it is in DV format or HD. Your video is eligible for HD if it is uploaded in HD. However there is a size limit on videos uploaded to YT. Don't worry if your video does not have the high quality and HD options right away, it can take 48 hours to have those options. There are many problems yet to be resolved with the HD option. It loads terribly slow even on my T1 internet connection and the audio and video are often out of sync. One reason for the audio and video to be out of sync is because it often times stops and then restarts at the spot where it should be if it didn't stop. To do this is plays the video in high speed, leaving the audio behind. I would rather have a video in high quality than HD because of these problems. There is some useful information on this thread about these problems and other information about uploading to YT.
    Please don't hesitate to PM me or post here if you have any other questions about this topic, other posters and myself will do our best to answer. If you have another question on a different topic, feel free to post a new thread or on an old one if it has been covered before and you can also PM me.

Regards,
    David