Video RAM: 256 mb vs. 512

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haagz, Apr 14, 2010.

1. haagz macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I'm a long time reader and a first time poster.

The new MBP is fiiinally out and ever since it came out I have been wondering which one to get.

I do quite a lot of graphical design, and I work in all the design suite adobe programmes. As some of you may know, Adobe will soon launch CS5.

I have been reading up on their system requirements, and for photoshop it requires a minimum of 256 mb of video RAM. Since this is the minimum, would you say it is better to go for the 512 mb instead? Or what I am saying is do I really need 512 mb of video RAM?

I hope to get some answers from people who know what they are talking about.

Cheers!

2. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I would say it depends entirely on what you'll be doing with CS5. In my opinion, 256MB is more than sufficient for 99% of users.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

There was a good thread on here explaining why 512 is probably overkill for the 330 GT...search around

4. apw100 macrumors regular

I believe that argument really only applies to 3D gaming. Adobe is starting to utilize the GPU via CUDA more, so it couldn't hurt to go with the 512, especially if you are planning on keeping the MBP for a while.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think you're right -- I missed the part about his intended usage in the original post. Sorry about that

6. iMarcusx macrumors member

7. gt40x4 macrumors member

gt40x4

its really up to you but i would get the 512 with the hi-res screen!

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I'd be pretty skeptical of that. It wasn't overkill for the 9600M.

Extra video RAM really does usually help. Even on slower cards, it can reduce the time spent mapping in new textures when moving from one area to another, and it does show up. If they had a 1G option, I'd probably get it.

9. iMarcusx macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=895792