Video RAM allocation on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello all
    I was wondering can we allocate more video memory to a MBP laptop? the new rMBP comes with 1 GB of Video memory, is there anyway to transfer any of the 16 GB ram on it to video memory to make it smoother/faster/better etc??? What would you recommend to do to a rMBP to increase its gaming performance...

Thank You

2. simsaladimbamba

No, the 1 GB is dedicated VRAM on the AMD GPU, the Intel 4000 HD however uses the main RAM, but still it will be limited to 768 MB RAM as far as I know. You can also not combine those two like with Crossfire or SLI on Windows.

3. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

No, unfortunately, the graphics card is a dedicated graphics, unlike integrated ones it can't be allocated more

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, and even if you could, you would not see a single performance benefit whatsoever.

5. leman macrumors 604

If you want to increase the gaming performance you can overclock the card. This is only possible under Windows though.

6. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

What is that? Is it recomended? How do i do it?

7. leman macrumors 604

Overclocking is purposely increasing speed of the hardware beyond its specification in order to get more performance out of it. Technically, it could void your warranty, so I am not sure about the 'recommended' bit ;) If you are interested, there are tons of guides on the internet about GPU overclocking, just search around a bit.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If the temps stay reasonable it is not a problem. If requires installing modded drivers and you don't sound knowledgeable enough that you should really bother. A significant overclock of 20% is usually too much for the cooling system. The 10% that aren't an issue are probably not worth the trouble.