Video recorder program

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Slrman, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

On the PC side, I have been using a program called Growler Gun Cam. This enabled me to record anything on any part of the screen, a video game while it was playing, a program in action, or a video from some other source. It did an excellent job of recording the video and audio. An example of what I have done with it is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FQRMOy51I

In addition, it has a great screen shot program that permits unlimited screen shots with a single key press.

Now that I am returning to the Mac fold (retirement is wonderful) I would like something similar to install on my new iMac when it arrives. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I don't expect an exact match, but being able to capture the screen in video and audio is very handy.

Thanks in advance...:D

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

ScreenFlow and iShowU are the two that I use. ScreenFlow (SF) has a editing software and requires you to export even if you don't edit. It is nice because you can do reflections on a black background and adjust the size of the pointer, show keys pressed on screen etc. iShowU (iSW) doesn't require any kind of exporting. On the app you can have the frame zoomed in and follow the cursor (which I personally hate). Check out both, they both offer free trials. SF is more expensive, if I can remember right, because it contains editing software. I use iSU more but if I was something that will take less time in SF than in Final Cut then I will use SF. The thing that I hate about SF is the exporting time. And you can't just look for the file because it records each window and browser on your desktop so you can zoom windows, etc. when editing so it has to have a special file type. iSU saves as a native .mov file.

David

3. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks for the feedback. That was very comprehensive and informative. When my iMac arrives (tomorrow, I hope) these will be among the first downloads. I looked up iSHowU HD and it seems to do pretty much what I want. I'm not too concerned about the screenshot thing as the Mac already has that. When I get everything working, maybe I'll make a video shoing how easy it is. :D

"Well, theyre gonna put me in the movies,
    they're gonna make a big star out of meee." :cool: