Video recorder that can record clips from DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubs83, Jan 12, 2014.

1. dubs83 macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a good video recorder that can record clips from a DVD? I tried VLC (which is pretty straight forward) and it records the video as a .mpg which plays fine on my computer, but I want to transcode it mp4 so the file is smaller and plays on my iphone. Problem is, it only records the video and I get no audio for some reason. I used handbrake for the transcode. So maybe there is a better program out there that can do a straight recording to mp4?

thanks guys

2. simsaladimbamba

When you say "record", do you mean, you put the video DVD in a DVD player for a TV set and connect that DVD player via video and audio cables to another device that hooks up to your Mac?
    If that is so, what device do you use?

If that is not the case and you actually have the DVD inside a DVD reader/writer for computers, why not use HandBrake to actually rip the clips you want to?

3. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, didn't explain myself right.

I rip the entire DVD to my hard drive into an .iso format. I then opened the .iso in VLC, recorded video clips (which were saved as .mpg), and now I want to convert these .mpg clips to mp4 so they are smaller and can play on my iphone.

I'm not sure if there is a way to directly rip a DVD to .mp4, which is why I ripped as .iso with dvd decryptor.

4. simsaladimbamba

There is, and it is used very often and HandBrake can read from an actual video DVD, a ripped one (copied to your HDD via some ripping software) or even an image of it (what an .iso file normally is), therefore double click the .iso file, go to HandBrake, select the VIDEO_TS folder of that mounted .iso file and then click OPEN.
    Wait for HandBrake to scan the virtual DVD and then select the clips of your liking from the TITLE dropdown menu and use a normal setting like the NORMAL setting and add the clip to the QUEUE and repeat the clip selection and adding to queue process until you have all the clips.
    Then press start and see your Mac becoming a bit louder due to higher CPU usage.

5. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm recording my own video clips though. I record them through VLC, which then saves them as .mpg. I want to convert these .mpg though to .mp4, but handbrake only converts the video, and the audio doesn't come through.

Isn't there a program that will convert my .iso file to one big .mp4 file?

6. simsaladimbamba, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

simsaladimbamba

Afterthought: What do you mean with "recording my own clips"? You have selected only a part of a title and recorded that in order to do the conversion? Or see below.

Then please try this for a change: Double click the .iso file in Finder, thus it is mounted and can be visible in Finder's Sidebar under Devices.
    Then click on that mounted object (probably has the name of the original video DVD or a name you gave it) and look for an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder.
    If those are there, you will be faster with HandBrake and do not even need VLC Player to do what you want.
    Once that .iso is mounted, you open HandBrake (it is a free application after all and used for transcoding video DVDs into an .mp4 or .m4v or even .mkv file.
    In HandBrake, select that VIDEO_TS folder and press OPEN.
    Then under the Title: dropdown menu select the title you want and apply the NORMAL setting and then press Add to Queue.
    Repeat that Title selection and Add to Queue algorithm until you have select all titles.

If that is too much or there are too many titles to make that worthwhile, please be as precise as you can describing your VLC Player method, preferably a step-by-step explanation, thus we can help with the more incompetent (in the regard of ease of use when transcoding video compared to HandBrake) VLC Player and the problem you have.

There is also MPEG Streamclip, which can even combine several titles to one file. But that would mean, you have to have access to the VIDEO_TS folder, if it is there.
    If you want me to describe the process, I can surely make something for you.