Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
So will there be avideo recorder coming anytime soon to the iPhone while Steve Jobs is alive?

Doubtful. I mean he still won't put copy and paste there. I'm sure that would be first before video recording. Well we don't even have sync for the built in notes/To Do on this thing.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really want a video recorder and it angers me they won't even let AppStore apps fill in the gap. WHY would Apple not only skip the recorder in firmware but also forbid dev's from making one?

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
I really want a video recorder and it angers me they won't even let AppStore apps fill in the gap. WHY would Apple not only skip the recorder in firmware but also forbid dev's from making one?

You can jailbreak it. The video recorder in Cydia called Cycorder works great.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Yeah, I'd really like to use Cycorder but I don't want to jailbreak. I have a gut feeling Apple is going to brick jailbroken phones in the next 6 mo. or so :/

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
That is highly unlikely. He would have tons of ticked off people.

Yeah, I'd really like to use Cycorder but I don't want to jailbreak. I have a gut feeling Apple is going to brick jailbroken phones in the next 6 mo. or so :/

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully Android and RIM will provide the iPhone with some competition, and Steve Jobs will decide to provide some of these features. Or these features may come in the next gen iPhone. At least I hope so. Otherwise, it will be pretty embarrassing for Apple. Apple's computers don't lack features, so I assume that the iPhone will have the same features as other smartphones.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007

You should really take a look into Jailbreaking. I felt like you about 3 months ago, did some research, and then took the plunge. I can't imagine having an iPhone that isn't Jailbroken at this point.

And I have a video recorder! :D

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008

I too was a little worried about doing it. It went so smoothly and everything has been fine since. I really don't think they will brick all of our jailbroken phones. I guess anything is possible but very doubtful. The jailbroken phone is really amazing, lots of cool themes. It seems like this is the way they should have made it to begin with.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
That is highly unlikely. He would have tons of ticked off people.

And you don't think he's ticking off tons of people by leaving out MMS, video recorder, c/p, and turn by turn GPS? That's not stopping him from keeping these capabilities off the iPhone.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I was thinking about that as I was writing what I wrote - haha! I just think that Apple may be sued if it intentionally "bricks" peoples' phones. By "brick", I mean that the phone will not function, and it won't be possible to download the firmware from Apple to restore the phone to a stock state. Apple may try to do its best so that the phone cannot be jailbroken at some point.

With respect to the missing smartphone features, it may be that Steve Jobs wanted the iPhone to be a simple phone that would not be bogged down with the full feature set of smartphones. The first gen phone didn't even have 3G or GPS. He tried to have people embrace web apps, but that didn't work. The jailbreaking community developers created a lot of native apps, and it was evident that native apps are more popular (because they tend to run faster and can be used even if there is no signal or a weak signal). But users began to demand more features, essentially making the phone a more complex device.

He may be holding out on the video recorder and a better camera app (with filters, digital zoom, etc.) until the phone can support a better camera in a device of the same size. Also, he may be waiting for better batteries that will last longer in order to place a better camera, a video recorder, and a better camera app. Turn by turn GPS will also drain the battery like crazy, but it seems like that will happen before a next gen phone comes out. Steve Jobs made it clear when he said that the first gen phone came out without 3G that it was necessary to wait until a battery would last longer with a 3G antenna. So a battery with a longer life may be essential before Apple provides some of these features. Battery drain is an issue with the use of flash in MobileSafari as well. Of course, if Apple provided a replaceable battery, none of this would be an issue!

I can't imagine why Steve Jobs is holding off on MMS and c/p at this point, but he seems to be sticking to his guns on those two points! This would be more useful than street view in my opinion. Although I am in favor of any new feature!! :D

Again, maybe he is waiting to introduce some of these features in a next gen iPhone with a better battery life. The truth of the matter is that many people, including myself, are ticked off about the omission of these basic smartphone features! The wait is truly frustrating!

And you don't think he's ticking off tons of people by leaving out MMS, video recorder, c/p, and turn by turn GPS? That's not stopping him from keeping these capabilities off the iPhone.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Users can't sue Apple if they break the end-user agreement and hack the phone. Apple is very within its legal rights to brick jailbroken phones. DirecTV used to do it all the time with hacked receiver cards.

I agree with some of your points, but at the end of the day Apple should do its best to give USERS what they want and not what its CEO wants. Just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.