Video recording app recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bruinsrme, Apr 3, 2015.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

My group at work wants to record a video of tasks technicians perform.
    The events would be captured using a iPad mounted on a tripod.

I am looking for recommendations for a decent video capture and editing app.
    Ease of use is very important.

Thank you in advance.

2. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

Are you going to edit on the iPad, or on the Mac?

If on the iPad, which works great for anything less than 10 minutes, use iMovie.

If on the Mac, then use iMovie if you're not going to go crazy with editing. If your show is over 10 minutes and you want to do more than trim clips and use simple transition, then use Final Cut Pro.

iMovie is free. FCP is more complicated and more expensive: $300.

3. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Thank you for the reply.
    We plan on doing the editing on both an iPad and Mac.
    Thank you for the recommendations.

4. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

No matter what you use to edit with, I would use a video camera to record with. Unless you have a LOT of light, the quality will be much better with a DSLR or Camcorder. I've used a DSLR many times recording in MP4 mode (1440x1080). Then I import the video to my iPad and edit using the camera connection kit.

If you go this route, make sure you test the video to make sure you can edit it on the iPad and that the output is satisfactory.

5. Buehrens macrumors newbie

Check out Screenflow from Telestream.net. It can record your Mac and iPad. It records audio and video. They also have a trial version you can download and test it out.
    I use it and highly recommend it.

6. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 603

bruinsrme

That looks incredible. Thank you for the tip.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are asking this on an Apple forum. You are going to hear "Use iMove if the video is short and simple and Final Cut Pro X if not"

Some other things you need to do is buy some lights LED panel are great. and yo need to think about AUDIO. nothing makes your work seem more amateurish then poor audio and on-camera microphones. Getting audio and lighting "correct" is far harder then capturing video, the iPads do that just fine out of the box.

With controlled lighting and a tripod the iPad can make decent quality video

8. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Thank you.
    Unfortunately the area we need to record is is very restrictive in what can be used.

Thank you for the tips.