Video Rendering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josephmccutchen, Aug 31, 2010.

1. josephmccutchen macrumors member

A few days ago, I posted a question about which MacBook Pro I should get, and I appreciate the comments I received. However, I have another question: I've seen the differences in video rendering between the 13" Intel Core 2 Duo and the 15" Core i5 & i7. What about DVD burning w/ iDVD? On my MacBook, it would take about 7 hours to burn a DVD. Is it any faster w/ the i5 & i7 chips? Any comments regarding this are greatly appreciated.:)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Video rendering

Yes, on the burn part, I understand; however, during those 7 hours, most of the time is spent processing movies, slideshows, encoding video, audio, etc. Surely the RAM and/or processor would have an impact on that wouldn't it?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

CPU will have the most impact, then RAM and the write speed of the ODD can be a factor to, but iDVD encodes the video to a video DVD compatible format first, then it burns the DVD.

Thus the i5/i7 will be faster, but I think iDVD will not use all available resources with those CPUs, the i7 can have up to four threads, and iDVD will only use two.

5. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Video rendering

Thanks a lot!!! :)