Video review making questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fatboy71, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Just wondering if someone could answer this for me please?

I am wanting to get into video production and editing. Basically I am wanting to record video reviews of different things that I own.

I am also wanting to purchase a USB microphone to use on my iMac.

I will be shortly be replacing my current camera with the Panasonic dmc-fz200 camera which has a video recording capability along with a built in microphone for recording the audio. Although from what I've heard online, the audio isn't very good, hence the reason I want to use a USB microphone.

My thinking is this:

I am wanting to record the video review, then get the video off of the camera's SD card and into Final Cut Pro. Once in there I want to delete the audio track that my Panasonic dmc-fz200 has recorded.

I believe that it's possible with Final Cut Pro to record an audio track (by going to the Record Audio option in the Window menu) at the same time as the video would be playing in Final Cut Pro.

Now, obviously the audio would need to be (for want of a better word) in sync or keep up with the action that was going on in the video. To try and clarify. If I were pointing at some part or button in the video (of what I was reviewing). I would obviously need to be at that point in my audio commentary that I would be recording.

I was wondering if the audio commentary that I was recording was either getting a little ahead or behind of what was going on in the video, is it possible to slow the video down or speed it up so that both the audio and the video are keeping up with each other?

Presently I record tech guides on my iMac on doing various things on the iPhone and iPad with the built in mic on the iMac, along with two other applications I use (Reflector and Screenflow).

Doing this with these two applications when I get a USB microphone should be a simpler task than doing the video reviews recording with the Panasonic camera, Final Cut Pro, has its possible to tell Screenflow which microphone to use prior to beginning recording (i.e built in microphone or an external microphone) and also Screenflow allows me to edit the video too. So in this scenario, the audio and video would be both recorded at the same time and I wouldn't have any issues with video and audio not been in sync/getting ahead/behind one and other. So I shouldn't have any of the problems I have mentioned above with using my Panasonic dmc-fz200 camera.

2. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I should have mentioned earlier that the camera would not be recording my face while I would be recording the video, so its not as if the audio and video would have to be exactly in sync to match the mouth and the audio.

The only part of me that would be in the video would be my hand as I would be pointing to a certain part of the product I would be reviewing. But still, the audio commentary I would be recording after recording the video, would still need to have a fair level of precision when I added it/placed the audio track in Final Cut Pro. Not sure if this makes any difference to certain parts of my questions in my first post.