video screen capture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excommie, Nov 17, 2009.

1. excommie macrumors regular

Is there a decent (and hopefully free) video screen capture that will allow me to export to iTunes and watch video on an iphone? I'm mostly interested in capturing hulu shows.

2. Agincourt macrumors newbie

Pyro A/v Link

Possibly, but I've never actually done it before with a computer as the source. There are digital converter devices that can accept input from devices through S-video, A/V inputs, Component video output, and composite video. And the device would connect with the computer via firewire.

Try looking up 'Pyro A/V link' That's one device I've used before.

Just note that there are limitations to what can be captured. I believe DVD's are encrypted so you can't capture the input with this device. I don't know if Hulu has the same restrictions. If you can capture video, you use imovie to convert the file to quicktime and it could be used by itunes.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have Snow Leopard, Quicktime X has screen capture built-in.

As with Hulu videos… if you're going to go through the trouble why not just download them? :confused:

4. excommie thread starter macrumors regular

You cannot download Hulu videos.

5. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

*Edit - I originally wrote you could, but Hulu seems a bit more difficult these days

If it streams over the internet to you, then it almost always can be captured in the process. I've tried a few of the usual free methods and they aren't working, so off hand it looks like a full screen capture / recording is probably the "easy" albeit costly method. I'd highly recommend ScreenFlow if you go that route. I've used it to capture video like this in the past for a project I was doing.

Never used it, but I see a few posts referencing this app: http://www.mp4kits.com/Product/huludownload/

They have a Mac version and at $35 isn't horribly priced assuming it works.

Good luck -

6. excommie thread starter macrumors regular

sl1200mk2 thanks for suggestions, I'll check them out tonight.