Video settings-colour

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Can anyone help. so I’m struggling to find any info online. About Chroma and RGB vs ycbcr.

My sony tv can run everything and although it can do HDR it it has the software but not the hardware so I’ve turned that off.

I don’t really understand exactly what the difference is between chroma 444 420 and the colour settings. Can anyone explain.

At the moment I have SDR 4K 60hz with frame rate match on. RGB low and chroma 444.

Thanks

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I don’t really understand exactly what the difference is between chroma 444 420 and the colour settings. Can anyone explain.
It is rather simple.
It originates from analogue colour-tv - to be backwardly compatible with existing black&white sets, they invented the 2-component signal format - Luma (this carries still all the B&W info) and chroma (added colour info).
Turns out human visual system is less acute to colour than to luminance. Here comes the additional win - you can actually send a less sharp colour image and superimpose it to sharper b&w image.
Those chroma settings refer to different levels of discarding chroma information from signal (effectively compression).
Illustrated explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
Anything above 4:2:0 in appleTV context has only effect on it's computer-generated UI and games.
All consumer-level video content is currently only produced in 4:2:0.
YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB are equal in terms of bandwidth used.
Only the signal composition is different.
YCbCr still rests on sending the b&w-compatible luma and chroma difference signals, RGB sends color primary intensities.

Reactions: Chopper read

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
It is rather simple.
It originates from analogue colour-tv - to be backwardly compatible with existing black&white sets, they invented the 2-component signal format - Luma (this carries still all the B&W info) and chroma (added colour info).
Turns out human visual system is less acute to colour than to luminance. Here comes the additional win - you can actually send a less sharp colour image and superimpose it to sharper b&w image.
Those chroma settings refer to different levels of discarding chroma information from signal (effectively compression).
Illustrated explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
Anything above 4:2:0 in appleTV context has only effect on it's computer-generated UI and games.
All consumer-level video content is currently only produced in 4:2:0.
YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB are equal in terms of bandwidth used.
Only the signal composition is different.
YCbCr still rests on sending the b&w-compatible luma and chroma difference signals, RGB sends color primary intensities.
Mega, thanks for that. I’m starting to understand now. I didn’t have RGB with 444 because that isnt even a option when you have RGB low selected :rolleyes::D