Video Site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by CrazyIllini, Oct 12, 2009.

1. CrazyIllini macrumors member

I'm currently learning html and I am planning to try to make a simple video sharing site (as a challenge for myself). I was wondering what would the best way to display the videos (ex. flash ect.). And if so in flash is there any good free flash video players available ( I'm not really wanting to empty my pockets for Adobe Flash Professional just to make a simple video player). And as usual thanks for all responses.

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Video sharing meaning users can upload their own videos?? If thats the case you will not be able to use HTML - you will need php.

Also, what KIND of videos do you need? you dont NEED adobe flash to display videos... but you need them to create a flash movie.

If you are talking about videos from a camera, then all you need is quicktime and a movie editing software.

To physically add a movie or video to a website requires ONLY coding and a web ready video or movie.. no software.

3. star-fish macrumors regular

Flash can be viewed on 99% of computers, so it's probably a good start.

However, I recommend limiting both the number and size of videos quite dramatically, or it's going to cost an absolute fortune.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

To do it yourself from scratch:

Yep, you'll need a database of some sort (even if just XML or flat files) to keep track of the videos, maybe tie into a search engine directly if not Google Custom Search. Flash is very common on video sharing sites, traditionally a use can upload many possible formats (wmv, avi, flv, mov, m4v, etc.) and after the upload a server side tool converts to flv or swf with the proper compression and skin template settings. That's also a good time to extract a screenshot or series of them to make the thumbnails displayed in the video library to the user. The bad new is this is a complex process to do server side, i.e. expensive tools, technically advanced stuff, batch processing, etc.

You might simply put all uploads in a "moderation queue" (a directory only you can view) so you can manually view them offline by downloading them, approve or delete, then just use one of the many desktop tools out there on your PC or Mac to manually create the Flash video/thumbnail etc. as I described earlier for approved videos. Then simply upload to the public directory, update database, etc. so the users can see the videos and download.

Might want to start searching around for social networking open source software with video uploading support. Others reading this might followup with suggestions.

-jim

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Wow, I never even thought of social media. Great suggestion!

Some free tools for social networking are
    Buddypress - integrates into wordpress and is pretty flexible and easy to use. FREE
    Ning - freeware that is literally plug and play. The ASPCA community runs off it if you wanna see it in action. The worse thing about this is you don't own your data, they do. And they use your users info to send them invites to other social networks using ning
    Kck Apps - paid social networking tool that requires knowlege of coding and a good deal of money. This is REALLY flexible and you own everything!

6. CrazyIllini thread starter macrumors member

Yes. Like a site like youtube.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Video sharing sites require huge amounts of server resources. YouTube is loosing millions of dollars a year because of the huge bandwidth demands.

As others have said you'll need more than HTML / CSS to do this. Most likely you'll need a dedicated server, knowledge of a server side language (PHP, Ruby, Python or Java for instance), knowledge of a database system (such as PostgreSQL or SQLite) and the ability to administer your own server remotely.

This kind of site is not the easiest thing to build yourself.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I dont believe youtube is loosing any money.. Im guessing they make millions a week.. youtube is google.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No, YouTube is owned by Google. That is a very important difference.

10. iJamesPine macrumors newbie

iJamesPine

Youtube

I highly doubt that Youtube would be losing millions otherwise google would probably shut it down, they do probably earn lots of money anyway as there are enough ads all over site to earn them a fortunes, and a lot of the time, when they put them in videos, I accidentally click on them.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes I know that like everyone else.. I stay corrected and you did not

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

YouTube is loosing money.

Google own it but that does not change the fact that YouTube is loosing money fast (as is Facebook which is owned by Microsoft if I remember correctly).

YouTube is still an independent company albeit a wholly owned subsidiary of Google. A simple understanding of business law would tell you this.

13. iJamesPine macrumors newbie

iJamesPine

A simple understanding of business would tell you that they would do start doing something about it if it were that bad.

14. KeithPratt, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Who's to say they're not?

Plenty of businesses lose money before they start making any.

15. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Youtube could very easily hemmorage money because it does more than make money for google. I mean, how in the WORLD would youtube MAKE money? theres no paying for anything - there's very VERY little advertisers.. The only advertisers are the "partners" and while yes, it makes money.. it probably doesnt make all that much. Instead, youtube just makes another google project a household name.. and that is what google wants.

Regardless.. to think tha you can design something like this with HTML and CSS is nuts. There is a LOT more than goes into something like this.. and even if your website was small, you would need ridiculous amounts of storange because even 100 videos would bog the heck out of your server

16. Cromulent, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What? Like selling the business to Google you mean?

Just do a search for YouTube financial situation. Credit Suisse estimated that YouTube would lose $470 million this year alone which is pretty bad wouldn't you say?

17. ckr123 macrumors newbie

I also started a video sharing website recently

hello,
    I also started a video sharing website last month.:) I got the script from
    phpmotion.com and started uploading videos. I learnt html and other web designing languages from w3schools.com , this helped me a lot to know many things about website building and marketing.:cool:
    I suggest you to start the same way as i did.:D
    Visit http://www.justpeep.com

for more info mail me

Thank You.:)