Video Stabilization on FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nutmac, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

As a FCE user, I have been envious of FCP's SmoothCam feature for awhile now. To me, one of the most compelling additions on iMovie '09 is Video Stabilization feature, which I assume to be stripped down but still effective implementation of SmoothCam (at least according to video demos).

(It seems natural to assume that next major update to FCE will gain a similar feature.)

Hopefully, FCE 4 will still be able to import from iMovie '09 (possibly with some patch, ala 4.0.2). I would love to be able to stabilize shaky footage (using iMovie '09), then import it back to FCE.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Okay..... and what was the point of posting this, I think most of us know all of this.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Hey now, I think the guy just wanted to start a conversation. This board isn't just about Q&A.

FCP.g.g, you're quite an active participant, and I appreciate your eagerness to help. You might want to lurk a little longer before jumping in and answering every single post on here.

4. ghoztman macrumors regular

NutMac I'm with you on this one and was wondering so myself. I use both iMovie and FCE depending on what I am doing (quick and not so dirty or playing around and getting nowhere :) )

An add-on would be nice and an included image stabilizer would be superb.

Also, whilst on the subject of iMovie, they don't appear to have given us back the clip speed.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I just try to help and if I see a post without a question I ask if there is one because maybe he/she had a question. No need to attack me please. Sorry if I came off a little harsh.:(

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

No problem, man. I'm not attacking you. We're a pretty good family here in our little corner of the internet, and you're welcome here. I'm just saying sit back and watch the scene a little bit.

I have to admit, when I saw the keynote, I was jealous to see iMovie 09 getting that feature, so I can see why he wanted to talk about it.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So was I and I wondered how long it would take for a discussion about this to have a part 1 and 2! I think a thread about the new iMovie would be great! I try to enjoy the scene as much as possible but sometimes when the super posters like -DH, BigBoss, Courtaj, and you aren't on I just get carried away answering questions and solving problems. I love reading everything you guys post and I learn from every word. Thanks for that and I love posting here with this "family" that we have.:)

Sincerely,
    David A.

8. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

Hi Nutmac, like you I was also looking enviously at this new iMovie Feature. Looks really neat. I can't afford FCP but have outgrown iMovie a bit. I am anxiously waiting a FCE upgrade. Has anybody heard of an upgrade rumour?

Cheers, BT

9. cpcarrot macrumors member

I'm sure it will come. In the mean time you can always get iMovie 09 import any footage you want stabilising, stabalise it, export it stabilised and then import it into FCE. Not the ideal solution but fine as a stop gap measure.

10. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

Yes, I believe that is what will be the solution in the meantime. I also like the new map feature in iMovie. So it could well be, that i will use iMovie for a bit more than just importing and previewing the clips, like i have done in the past. I really can't believe, how much value for money one is getting with iLife 09. It is simply awesome. :)

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It is very awesome and I don't think we will see a map feature in FCE because it is a professional application that is supposed to be controlled more manually by the user than iMovie. What Apple wants you to do if you want a map is get a picture and import in Photoshop or something and draw a line, then import it into FCE. That's what I mean by manually controlled. The stabilization would be very nice in FCE.

Regards,
    David