Video staggers from Nikon D5100

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xdread, May 25, 2012.

1. xdread macrumors newbie

I'm hoping someone can help me understand why my HD video staggers when I import it into FCP 2? I see that the camera uses H.264 codec and I change my sequence to match but that doesn't work. It says the settings don't match. I have to convert it to DV using visualhub but i lose some quality.

I am running a PowerPC G5 Dual 2GHz 4GB RAM ATI 9650 256MB (I know it's old) but as long as the codec is available shouldn't it play it straight through?

Also, I'm looking to upgrade to a used Mac Pro any suggestions on how much power I need to continue editing?

thank you for any information

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't convert to DV. That is a SD format and therefore you will take a big resolution hit.

FCP 2 came with the ProRes codec so convert it to ProRes 422 and then edit from there.

3. pigbat macrumors regular

This is the best advice. I'm not sure if you can log and transfer Nikon footage directly to FCP but if not, mpeg streamclip should be able to convert it for you.

4. xdread thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. definitely right about resolution hit. How do I convert it to Pro Res 422? I've seen some Nikon converter downloads for sale are there any free ones?

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Mpeg streamclip!

6. xdread thread starter macrumors newbie

7. whdigital macrumors regular

This import issue aside, how do you like the D5100 for shooting video? I need a new SLR that won't totally break the bank, but I want to be able to do decent video with it too!

8. xdread thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. the video looks great! You may want to check out the Canon T3i also. you have more options in video mode, i.e., aperture settings and can shoot at different frame rates, 50/60 fps. I was considering selling my d5100 and picking up a T3i. Both will run about $8-900 roughly