Video storage issues?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikeheenan, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Hello all. I got my iPad 3 16gb wifi a couple months ago. In about a month I'm going to Thailand for the summer. I am trying to figure out how to bring videos with me to play during down times. I have a box.net account I can use to connect and download from, but has anyone filled up an sd card with videos and imported them to watch? I don't want to mess around with conversions so I'd need a good video playing app too. Any suggestions?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

you use the CCK to connect the SD card to the ipad.

but unless there is an itunes app (iexplorer ?) that can browse the file system, i don't think you can access the video on the SD card without jailbreaking the ipad.

my ipad is JB'd and watching movies on SD media is possible but i found performance to be spotty. nothing beats local storage if you're going to be abroad.

right about now is when the OP might be rethinking his decision to buy the 16gb version.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

his ipad isn't though, the CCK won't work.

5. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Not really sure how you got your "new iPad" aka iPad3 a couple months ago but I want in on your supplier :)

Anyway - I'm looking for a storage solution too and found a drive called the WiDrive($50 on amazon), it's made by Kingston, they have a 16gb and 32gb option. Also there is a drive made by SeaGate that's 500gb.

I think you would be able to use the CCK to upload the movies to your iPad from an sd card but you'd have to have the space available on your iPad to upload them, where the two drives I mentioned above you actually just stream from the device

6. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

i've seen some posts about a reputed iFile equivalent that can be installed on non-JB'd ipads. if it's true, then he might be able to use that to read the video files off the SD card.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I would like to see that post.

8. trek360 macrumors 6502

+1

It's a often a challenge navigating space even on my 64 gb.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

The iPad hasn't even been out for two months yet.

My suggestion would be to sell your iPad and buy a larger 32GB or 64GB model. For a media consumption device with a Retina DisplayI don't see how anyone would think that a 16GB model would be adequate.

10. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. Haha. I goofed on the date as several have mentioned. I went with the 16gb model as I figured that I have music on my phone so I don't need it on the iPad but I am kind of wishing I went for a larger model. I was hoping there'd be a jailbreak soon, but it seems that's not gonna happen before I leave for my trip.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

There's got to be some kind of hardware handshake that prevents us from using that app and our own USB drive.

14. big samm macrumors 65816

Get a wireless hard drive, from Seagate!
    Load your movies and music and your good to go! Battery lasts for about 7hours
    I love mine!

15. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I enjoy mine as well. It works suprisingly well.