Video streaming quality on Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockinroll19, Aug 5, 2012.

1. rockinroll19 macrumors newbie

Hey all. I am considering buying the new retina macbook pro. However, I heard that many website images look pixelated, or "jaggy". Is this the same case with videos from sites such as youtube or netflix? This would be an important issue to me so I am wondering what you guys think. How is the video quality from sites on the new retina macbook pro?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

They only look bad when they are seen right next to perfectly sharp text and graphics. Video looks amazing!

3. biskit96 macrumors newbie

I have only used the Retina Macbook Pro in the Apple store, but as far as I could see the talk about some sites looking pixelated is just compared text that look clear, but some images do look a little jaggy, but just as jaggy as they do on a non Retina Macbook. They do not look worse to me. In fact overall all web sites I visited at looked just as good or better on the the Retina than regular Macbooks. You just notice it more on the Retina display.

4. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Honestly, 4K video looks amazing on the retina display, however YouTube looks a bit soft in full screen because it's stretched immensely. I seem to watch 1080p more now because of the display.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try it out in person for yourself and see. Don't just rely on assessments for others. What you consider to be acceptable may or may not be acceptable to the next.

6. leman macrumors 604

My experience is the same. The displayed image quality is comparable to a non-retina screen, but it actually looks better due to retinas IPS display with much better contrast and colors.

----------

An excellent suggestion. Don't succumb to fearmongering of the few :)

No, really, if you look through the threads you will instantly recognise all the nicknames of people who complain about rMBP image quality. They just post the same things in each and every thread, making it appear like there were lots of people with the issue.