video streaming to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chris650, Nov 3, 2010.

1. chris650 macrumors regular

I have a big collection DVD in iso files. What's the best way to stream to my iPad?

(I know that, normally, I have to transcode them to other format, e.g. H.264, to use AirVideo or something like that. Is any way I can transcode on the fly while streaming to iPad.)

I tried Handbrake. The problem is most of my DVD of educational materials containing chapters/lectures. The Handbrake treat each of those as an individual title and put them in different files.

I want to be able to batch transcoding, one disc into one file.....and batch can be set up do many iso file one after another.

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, AirVideo can do that on the fly.

3. colmaclean, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

AirVideo doesn't work with DVD iso files as it doesn't include the functionality to handle all the extras that a DVD image includes - menus, audio tracks etc.

You'd need to Handbrake DVD content into a video file which could be transcoded to AirVideo.

The problem you have is that each DVD contains a number of different "episodes", but you want them all concatenated into one file.

After you've usied Handbreak to get the individual episodes, I think Quicktime can be used to join video files. At least Quicktime Pro used to be able to!

Good luck!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm kind of. i just played back some video_ts files over airvideo server. each TS file was 1 TV epsiode, so it worked out fine for me. if it were a movie then it would be a different story, as there would be many chunks to files.

the vob files are just MPEG2, so airvideo server has no problem transcoding that.

OP: the BEST thing IMO to do is to use MakeMKV (its free, give it a google) to convert the DVD into a single .mkv MPEG2 file. this can then be played without problems through airvideo :)

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

True, however some DVDs I own have TS files which include only the end of one episode and also the beginning of the next so can't be handled in isolation.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

most certainly, due to the nature of DVDs and their 1GB file limit - thus why i suggested MakeMKV :)

7. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

QuickTime pro... is that included in the latest Snow Leopard?

My problem with Handbrake:
    I need to batch transcode, but when Handbrake do batch transcode, it pick randomly one chapter from each disc file (iso). How do I make Handbrake to do batch job for all chapters in on disc file????

8. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

Does MakeMKV do batch job of many ISO files? I don't want to be sitting there waiting for each disc to finish and start another process....

9. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry - been busy. no it doesnt do batch.

11. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

So for each disk iso file, i have to wait and run?

Any other programs you know would help in batch transcoding ISO files to video format?

12. omni macrumors 6502

Zumocast will stream ripped DVD's to the iPad. Not sure how well as I've never really explored it. But it's free and worth trying out to see if it fits what you want.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unfortunately for makemkv yes. Handbrake is probably the best queue ripping software out there, its free and made for macs.

14. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

I love handbrake.. but it transcode only ONE chapter in a disc at a time!!!!!

15. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

Does it stream ISO????

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

then setup a queue and make it do more ?

17. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

that means.... for each chapter, i have to create a entry... and end up a file with each chapter!!!!

not practical

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats generally how it works yes. if you want them as one big concatenated file then pray to god that the production company of the DVD included it into their chapter markers - normally you might get lucky and they have 1 big ~2-3hr long chapter which has the entire set of episodes combined.

otherwise, you are stuffed :)

19. chris650 thread starter macrumors regular

My dvd's has chapters as titles in handbrake!

However, all the markers are there.... how do i combine them?????