Video through email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnruizii, Jan 19, 2009.

1. johnruizii macrumors newbie

Hello, i was wondering if the iphone can play a video if someone sent it to me in an email? I am having trouble opening it.
    Thanks in advance!

2. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I think if it's a Quicktime video it will, but if it uses Flash it won't

3. johnruizii thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any apps that will allow me to view the video if it isnt in quicktime?
    thanks again!

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

QuickTime plays a lot of formats. MPEG, MPEG-4, H.264, Indeo, etc. all "just work". About the only two common ones that won't work are DivX/XviD and WMV.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

People send me videos all the time, but I have never been able to view a video that has been sent to me. It always tells me that the email is not formated properly. :(

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

well i know there is a jailbroken mod called iMobileCinema which allows you to view flash videos on the internet, it sould work the same in mail

7. johnruizii thread starter macrumors newbie

i am having the same problem, i get videos from my friends but i cant view them, do i need to save them to my comp first then put it on my iphone? seems like a lot of work just to watch a video....darn lack of mms. lol

8. slapppy macrumors 65816

I've received movies and audio with the extension of .3gp, and those play video and sound received in Mail. Files with .mov or .m4v doesn't work.

9. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

i guess .MOV is preferred to be sent as attachment.
    but actually i wanna embed video on the body of email.
    can i do that?

:cool:

10. johnruizii thread starter macrumors newbie

i wish for that everyday too, so im just getting this clear, it basically up to the sender on what video the send it in? how would i ask them to change the .mov?

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You don't.

.MOV isn't a video codec. It's a container format. Generally, the iPhone will play most things that QuickTime Player will play. That includes MPEG1, MPEG-4, H.264, Indeo, and others. It also supports a variety of container formats -- but not every codec that can be used in a given container format can be played back on the iPhone, even if the container format itself is supported.

12. slapppy macrumors 65816

But the OP is asking about embeded video in iPhone mail. So far within the iPhone mail itself .mov or .m4v will not play.

13. johnruizii thread starter macrumors newbie

just trying to help by cleaifying, i was just wondering why i cant see the video from my GF's Samsung upstage when she emails it to me.
    thanks again

14. Aurial macrumors 6502

It's going to depend on the format the video is recorded in by her Samsung and whether the iPhone can play it. Also whether the video is saved to the email as an attachment or embedded. Is she emailing it to your email address as an MMS? If so then the video is probably imbedded and/or not in the right format.

You wontbe able to find an app able to open any email attachment whatsoever. One of the many limitations of the phone you use.

15. johnruizii thread starter macrumors newbie

well i convinced her to get a blackberry and she is coming to att so i think woo hoo or am i wrong? lol