Video thumbnails in Finder for non-mp4 video files possible now

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by gumblecosby, Nov 5, 2014.

1. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2010
    A good developer by the name of Marginal has created a quick look and spotlight plugin to generate thumbnail previews for video files in Finder and Spotlight respectively. Previously in Mavericks, the lack of Perian caused all non-MP4 video files to have a generic thumbnail image.

Found here:

Ive used it for a week now and have not noticed any issues with any "md**" or "quicklook**" processes in Activity Monitor. Its been out a while but I didn't see it mentioned here.

This plugin won't play videos. It can only generate the relative thumbnail image due to API restrictions/limitations in Apple's new video toolkit
  2. 844957 Suspended

Sep 16, 2013
    this actually works pretty well !!!

at least i can identify some of my old .avi
  3. 844957 Suspended

Sep 16, 2013

after having it installed for a couple days i've notice a HUGE slow-down after you put your computer to sleep. after sleep mode finder, scrolling in safari, dock animations become very choppy.

the add on works as long as your computer isn't in sleep mode for too long or else something is triggered where it seems to rebuild thumbnails or something causing a massive slow down

uninstalled through terminal (the only way) and now everything is normal before and after sleep