Video-to-DV on PowerMac G4 MDD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kirkman, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Kirkman macrumors member

Hi all,

I had a last-minute thing come up where I need to import some VHS video into my PowerMac G4 MDD to edit in iMovie.

Long-term I'd like to buy a card or device to do this. If any of you have recommendations for something relatively inexpensive that does a good job, I'd appreciate it. I don't need it to be capable of recording TV or changing channels or anything... Just letting me import something through video or S-Video.

However, my immediate and pressing concern is with the
    AverMedia m150 TV tuner PCI card. A friend has one he's willing to let me borrow, since I have two videos I need to import immediately.

But we can't find any Mac drivers for this card. Can anyone hazard a guess as to whether it might work *without* a driver, or where a driver might be found?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

if you have a camcorder, see if it has pass through so you can connect the VCR to the camcorder (via rca's) to the mac (via DV)

i used to do this before i bought a canopus 110, since upgraded to a 300.

would work easy as pie.
    cheers,
    keebler

3. Kirkman thread starter macrumors member

I do have a Sony HandyCam, but unfortunately it doesn't have pass-through. That's why I'm seeking other options.

--Josh

4. banjomamo macrumors regular

If your camcorder is DV then just record to your camcorder from the VCR to an actual DV tape. The import the DV into iMovie as you would regular footage.