Video to Flash

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Im looking for a cheap or free program to convert movies (mpeg, avi etc) to either a FLA or SWF file(Flash).

I found Compression Master which is $500

And i tried Flix which is just garbage.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Thank,
Derek

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
wattsin said:
Im looking for a cheap or free program to convert movies (mpeg, avi etc) to either a FLA or SWF file(Flash).

I found Compression Master which is $500

And i tried Flix which is just garbage.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Thank,
Derek
It's been a while since I've worked with Flash, but IIRC you wouldn't want to convert to flash, but would want to embed a movie in a flash animation. Why do you want it flash anyway, if it's just going to be the video? The only reason that I know of to use flash is to take advantage of its capabilities.

Comment

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
It's easier on the user. Not having to deal with getting real, windows media player or, quicktime.

98% of people have flash already installed.

Comment

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
wattsin said:
It's easier on the user. Not having to deal with getting real, windows media player or, quicktime.

98% of people have flash already installed.
98% of people also already have quicktime installed, and many people turn off their flash plugin, since flash animations are often intrusive and obnoxious.

Anyway, in regards to the original question, I don't know, maybe somebody else can help you. :)

Comment

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I know this is a Mac forum but it's not 98%. More like 40% of people have quicktime installed.

Comment

wbhambone

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Wales
2 things:
1 - if you have Flash Pro you can convert mpeg, etc to FLV files (flash video). You can also buy Sorenson Squeeze ($99) to do the same thing.

2 - then buy the Wimpy AV Player ($29) and embed it on your site to play the FLV files. site

bh

Comment

wbhambone

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Wales
wattsin said:
I already bought Wimpy, thanks for the reply! :cool:
But apparently you missed point 1, which was the more important point. Either get Flash MX Pro or Sorenson Squeeze. If you have Pro you can use Quicktime Pro or Final Cut (Express or Pro) and export your video as an FLV file. Problem solved.

bh

Comment

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
No I got it, I bought Squeeze and converted my movie files. Im good to go.

Thanks again,

Derek

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.