Video to my mac

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
What are the best devices to transfer video from my video camera to my mac so I can use iDVD and iMovie to burn them to DVDs?

What hardware is the norm and what should I avoid?

TIA

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
cgratti said:
What are the best devices to transfer video from my video camera to my mac so I can use iDVD and iMovie to burn them to DVDs?

TIA
It would help if you stated which model camera you use. Most camcorders today have FireWire, which means that all you need is a FireWire cable.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
cgratti said:

TIA
All I do is connect my Canon zr60 via Firewire and open up iMovie then import through it. Then I edit my movie in iMovie and share it to iDVD where I then burn a copy of it. If you have a digital video camera it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, then sorry, I'm no help.

If you're unsure if your camera is digital or not, a digital camera uses Mini-DV tapes (small and expensive little monsters) and I've never seen a digital video camera without at least a 4-pin Firewire connector.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Well, if your camera doesn't have firewire or 4 pin firewire (i-Link). Then you will need a capture box which will set you back roughly $200 - $300 so you would probably be better off buying a new camera for $400 because if your old camera doesn't have firewire then it is likely to be crappy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.