Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigRig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

Basically I have an external HD full of video files, mainly .mkv, .avi and .m4v

I have tried connecting it to my ps3 to view the files on my TV but to luck. The ps3 seems to not read the HD. I have enabled media servers under network and labeled the folder on my external HD to Video, but it doesn't show up.

Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks!

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
your hard drive is not a media server. It is storage.

You need to connect the drive into your home network as a shared drive then you can access it from the PS3

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
your hard drive is not a media server. It is storage.

You need to connect the drive into your home network as a shared drive then you can access it from the PS3

This is incorrect, as I presently have a hard drive with media on it attached directly to my PS3.

The PS3 won't be able to play the mkvs, but the rest should be fine.
Is the hard drive formatted as FAT32? The only other requirement the PS3 has is to have the videos in a folder called "VIDEO" which you said you've done.

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Is the hard drive formatted as FAT32? The only other requirement the PS3 has is to have the videos in a folder called "VIDEO" which you said you've done.

This. Also note that FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 GB, so if any of your videos is larger than 4 GB, you'll have to either burn to a data disc (DVD or Blu-ray), or stream the files from your computer over the network to PS3.

BigRig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Alright, but will that force me to erase the HD before formatting it in Disk Utilities? Also, would it be the MS-Dos?

Thank you, this has helped A LOT... I was getting cranky not being able to do this ;)

BigRig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks! Works like a charm =) I knew it could be done, but nothing I googled helped... Thanks again....:D

Mike P.

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Have you heard of PS3 Media Server?

I used to use MKV2VOB to convert mkv video for PS3 playback, but certain movies have an encoding that wouldn't let me convert. So I eventually came across the media server and it lets me stream my media (video,photo,music) from the server application on my desktop. Kinda like Windows Media Server or whatever its called on the PS3, but with more features and transcoders (including mkv).

And with the server, theres no need to label you folders VIDEO or MUSIC to be read. You just have to make sure that you are in the correct XMB section (i.e Video, Photo) the corresponds to the media you want to play.

Thats just my 2 cents on watching video on a PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.