Video too big to email

johnrgarland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Greenbackville, VA
Have a Nikon point and shoot camera. Videotaped the ocean and tried to email. Get message the video is too big to mail. How do I compress the file so can send it by email ? Have new iMac and us Apple mail program. Does 10.8.2 have some kind of program to make the file smaller to send by email ? New at this and probably not making any sense.Sorry.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Personally, I would share it using a free Dropbox account
That way you won't be compromising the quality by trying to compress it into an email

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
The maximum you can send on email is about 20mb. In some cases email providers actually restrict that to 10mb.

Video from your camera for a minute would rack up around 70-80mb.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Personally, I would share it using a free Dropbox account
That way you won't be compromising the quality by trying to compress it into an email
I second this, I made a short video to send to my wife, and found Dropbox to be a good solution.

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
I call bull on dropbox. The OP made no mention of who the recipient would be. If this person is not a dropbox user, they will be forced into signing up to get the file.

A better way to go would be www.wetransfer.com You can send up to 2GB files to any email address. There is no sign up required and works great. Your recipient will simply receive an email with a download link, unlike Dropbox where they will spend 10 minutes setting up an account they may never use again.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I call bull on dropbox. The OP made no mention of who the recipient would be. If this person is not a dropbox user, they will be forced into signing up to get the file.
You don't have to do that anymore. For a while now, Dropbox has allowed you to just get a link to a folder and the recipient doesn't have to have an account.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Have a Nikon point and shoot camera. Videotaped the ocean and tried to email. Get message the video is too big to mail. How do I compress the file so can send it by email ? Have new iMac and us Apple mail program. Does 10.8.2 have some kind of program to make the file smaller to send by email ? New at this and probably not making any sense.Sorry.
How big is the file? If it is 300MB, compressing is not going to help much toward getting to 20MB to email. But if it is closer to 20MB you can use the Quicktime Player app already included on your machine to export the file to a smaller format. Just open the file in Quicktime then select File menu and Export and select which option you want.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

A better way to go would be http://www.wetransfer.com You can send up to 2GB files to any email address. There is no sign up required and works great. Your recipient will simply receive an email with a download link, unlike Dropbox where they will spend 10 minutes setting up an account they may never use again.
Wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/tour/3

You can just send a link to the file you want to share, presumably you put it in YOUR public folder. If you need to share a folder, just zip it.

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
While Dropbox and box.com like solutions are great, I have found it easier to upload to YouTube or Vimeo directly with the video set to unlisted. This lets my recipient play the file right away. On Vimeo you can also password protect for a little bit of money. If the recipient wants to download the video, for YouTube you can have them paste the link into keepvid.com. For Vimeo paid accounts can enable a download link directly on the page.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Or you can use dropsend.com which I personally use more than dropbox, it gives a download link to an email recipient up to about 2.1GB