Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use for mpeg2 encoding for video transfers?

• Software solution

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Computer hardware solution

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DVD Recorder

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I'm sitting back and analyzing where the world of video transfers is and where it's going.

For now, I'm wondering what software or hardware solutions for mpeg2 encoding other folks, whose business is to offer video transfers, are using.

Myself - i transfer to my mac and use Bitvice to encode the mpeg2s, then DVD studio pro for the DVD work. I set up templates so it's fairly quick.

I know other folks use DVD recorders, but i've always been skeptical of not having enough control over the final mpeg2 conversion b/c the recorders usually only have 2 or 3 pre-determined quality levels. But, I don't know if that is changed.

So, what do you use for your business and why?

Cheers,
Keebler

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Our business is not focused on transfers, however, we offer dubs and transfers of our clients' master tapes (99% of the time DigiBeta.) We have 2 options: standalone DVD recorder (Sonys), or DVD Studio Pro. I have pretty much made FCP/DVDSP the goto for transfers (reference dubs essentially) for the following reasons:

1. Custom menus with our company logo, chapter menus, and custom gfx. The standalone recorder menus look terrible and it's very annoying to input text info.
2. Ability to create chapter markers
3. Easy to remove unwanted parts of the original, if desired (such as extra black, common on our masters)
4. Easy to archive (if client wants another copy after the masters are gone)

The drawbacks:

1. A bit more upfront effort (inserting chapter markers in FCP, connecting menu items)
2. Not realtime encoding (which is not a huge deal for short transfers, but longer ones can take a while)
3. Ties up Final Cut for a little while

Always looking for a better way....

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
For clients that want a straight transfer (no editing) I use a DVD recorder. I also use it for supplying clients with TC window dubs for projects that will be edited.

But for clients that need/want editing, chapters or a nice menu, I capture the footage and use FCP, Compressor and DVD-SP.

-DH

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for the feedback guys.

DH - I know you're well experienced in this field so I take it you feel the quality of the dvd recorders is good for clients? I've always wondered (but don't have any personal real experiences - aside from seeing one dvd from a recorder).

As for myself, I like using DVDSp b/c of the functionality you can simply add for clients - they seem to enjoy it.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The quality is perfectly fine (depending on the quality of the original footage), but the is limited functionality in regards to chapter placement and menus. But the rate I charge for that service is substantially lower than my normal rate. Plus, it keeps my Macs free to be doing more profitable work.

-DH

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The quality is perfectly fine (depending on the quality of the original footage), but the is limited functionality in regards to chapter placement and menus. But the rate I charge for that service is substantially lower than my normal rate. Plus, it keeps my Macs free to be doing more profitable work.

-DH

good points DH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.