video trick ive been wondering how to do

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brux, Oct 24, 2009.

1. brux macrumors newbie

hey guys, so lately ive been working on a school project. im planing on presenting it through a video. however, i need some assistance as to how to achieve this trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-mIM4-3v1g

hopefully a lot of you guys have seen nat's vids and has seen scenes in her videos in which there are 2 nats. I was wondering how would I go about doing that? I mean, i understand that I would have to film 2 separate parts, but the part i don't get is the how to combine them into one scene. what software should i do this with? imovie?

thank you so much in advance, guys.

2. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

I think you can do it fairly easily with iMovie 09. You'll have to record the second clip in front of green screen, then you'll be able to import that footage and superimpose it on your first footage. If you type "superimpose" into iMovie's help, it gives you a pretty good step by step on how to do it.
    (exact help title is "Using green-screen effects to superimpose video")

good luck!

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

you probably need some more expensive editing software. Maybe there are cheaper alternatives, but not that I know off (I believe linux has a free editor that can handle pretty much, but you would have to install linux).

The effect is pretty simple I did it and replicated myself 5 times because we had only 2 actors (me and the other boy), my brother did it, so it's not that difficult.

You just make sure your in one part of the film, and the other you in another (so no crossing) make sure the camera is in place and stays there, make sure the light is the same (so don't make one video in the morning the other in the evening, in my video you can see it was shot only 10 minutes later while the sun set). Then you import them in your video editor, crop the the video with for example you on the left, you crop the right. Than you place that piece over the other. Check this video for better explanation. It's quite a long video.

Come to think of it, you can do it with quicktime 7 pro. You need to buy this, but if you have snow leopard it comes free on your installer DVD. Just place the DVD and install quicktime 7. It's too hard to explain so I won't even try. I'm not much of a help here, but you could try to search for "picture in picture" effect with quicktime 7 pro. Then you would have to crop it with a picture black and white (so it's a lot of hassle).

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Actually, QuickTime 7 Pro does NOT come with the Snow Leopard install disc. Only the regular player version does. You still need to purchase a serial key to get the Pro features. If you had Pro before installing Snow Leopard, you will still have Pro after the install in addition to QuickTime X.