Video turns Green during playback.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jabar18, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jabar18 macrumors member

New 2015 MBP here. Bought this summer, new, from Adorama Camera.

It's been fine, but I've recently been seeing a vertical line down the screen during certain webpage load, as well as a green screen during video playback. (i.e. the video will play, but show up in green for a few seconds.)

What do people think? Does the video card needs replacing? I have apple care.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's no replaceable graphics card. The graphics chip is part of the logic board - so a failure of the graphics would mean the logic board is replaced to fix that. Apple will take care of whatever is needed, when there is a hardware failure, or defect that you find, all within the 12 months basic warranty. If you have the extended AppleCare, that's even better!
    In the mean time, you can run the built-in Diagnostics on your MBPro. Restart while holding the D key.
    You will boot to the Diagnostics. Run that, and come back with any error codes that are reported. You can also use that to let AppleCare know ahead of time that you have seen an error reported by the Diagnostics. Apple will run the test again, or the Apple Store will have other testing to do. You should easily get your MBPro back up and running pretty quickly.

3. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

I just ran the built-in diagnostics, but no errors were found. Does that mean it's a software issue instead of a hardware issue? Does it make sense to still take it in to the Apple Store?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sure. Take it in. You are entitled to have your hardware tested there, if you still have some doubts. It could give you reassurance that you don't currently have a problem with the hardware.
    My feeling is that your issue MAY still be hardware - heat-related.
    I would probably just use the Mac, until the problem appears, then take THAT moment to re-run the diagnostics, to see if it still runs without showing any errors. My theory is that your system would be well warmed up at that time, and might pop up with a failure if you test then.

Now it could also be true that your hardware may not be an issue, then a reasonable next step would be a reinstall. You could do that now. Quickest, and easiest way to start is to download and install the latest OS X combined updater. If you have upgraded to El Capitan, that updater is here.

5. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. All good feedback!