Video upgrade options - old Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjd, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jjd macrumors regular

I have a vintage era Mac Pro - a dual core machine from 2006. I have recently upgraded the memory (10GB) and dropped in some new Caviar Black HDDs. The machine is quick but obviously not in the same league as the Nehalems with QuickPath etc. I don't think upgrading the processors is viable, but I am wondering if a new video card would help - I do a fair amount of video editing (amateur not pro) and I remember that the 7300GT card my Mac Pro shipped with was considered weak even when it shipped, let alone now 3 years later. I am hoping a new card might help reduce rendering times.

Given my older architecture, can any one suggest a sensible video card upgrade? I run two 20" ACDs from the dual DVI ports on the 7300 and would like to continue to be able to do that.

Many thanks

JD

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Both CPU upgrades and GPU would be feasible. In your case a flashed PC ATI 4870 would be a good and inexpensive solution at appr. 130$. With Cindori's new app you can even flash it in the Mac.

Clovertown CPUs would give you quad CPUs and a total of 8 cores. Speed goes up to 3,0 GHz on the X5365. They are not easy to get but slightly slower 2,66 should be a nice option. probably 300$ used.

3. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

where do I find this app for download? What is the process in flashing it?

So these will fit in the 2x2.66ghz board?

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

5. jjd thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much - will look into doing both.

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Be sure to check the 4870 thread before ordering one.

The XFX ones being sold now SUCK, crappy fan and cheaper build. Plus they don't flash well. Sapphire cards are OK, but dual monitors weren't working on those. They might be now though.