Video: Upgrading the 2011 Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Supra Mac, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Supra Mac macrumors regular

Haven't seen this posted and it helped me a lot. He also installs two drives without moving the logic board.

http://youtu.be/HTvUGLF8NPs

I hate the fan connector, maybe use some tape on the connector to help relieve the stress on the cables.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Have you actually tried this approach with success? Aren't the drives just sitting in there, potentially leading them to move around if jostled?

And, are you sure you mean the fan cable? Because that's disconnect in the very first step, before the wifi antenna is removed.

3. Dhelsdon, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I like the kit from iFixit better, it's more expensive but it comes with the proper screws and grommets to seat the drive the way it's supposed to be.

The part he ordered in the video didn't have these grommets. I haven't found them anywhere else yet. I did find the HDD flex cable on eBay for 35$ though, without the screws and grommets.

I found the screws and grommets - 4$ + Shipping

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I went the expensive, but tried and true, route and purchased the ifixit kit. Since I spent do much money on a cheap computer, I might as well do it properly.

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I just found this on that same site, seems suspicious selling a 9.5mm 500GB 2.5 HDD drive for 4$..

I ordered four of them, if it is legitimate then damn that's a wicked deal!

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

It'll be interesting to see what you get - the "regular" price is $6.52....somehow I don't think you'll be getting a working HDD

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Seems pretty fishy to me, but hey I'll take the chance. I've got nothing to lose, It came to 25$ for 4 drives shipped to Canada. They have the flex cable for 19$ as well.

I've already ordered the screw kit, Hdds and I might get the flex cable from there too.

They have a C- rating on the BBB. Seems this could go both ways.. I'll keep this updated!

8. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Nice find, please update if you get tracking info!

9. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Not a bad video. But in my opinion there are some problems with it.

First:A hex number 2 should be used to remove the screws that hold onto the wifi grate which also holds the HD or SSD in place. Not a torx T9. That is taking a chance of stripping the screw.

Second. The way he moves and replaces the HD is a good way to pull out a cable or two. It is a good idea to move the motherboard slightly a half inch out of the chassis to give yourself more room.

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Mac-Mini-Logic-Board-Removal-Tool/IF145-159

Seems silly to pay that much for a piece of metal. But I have done more than a few HD's for the Mac Mini. A few thin screw drivers is not the same as using this tool. Believe it or not makes it much easier.

Third. No need to remove the WiFi antenna. Just move it out of the way.

Fourth. Not necessary to remove the nylon from the just removed HD onto a SSD. Nothing should be on the outside of a SSD. The nylon sheath is for the exposed part of the HD. A SSD has no exposed parts so it is not needed.

This video is much better as are the ifixit instructions. I used both and did is the first time in 20 min. Second time in about 10 min.

mac sales SSD mac mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkaRS6w5l1o

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac-mini-Model-A1347-Hard-Drive-Replacement/3113/1

----------

No need for tape. Just hold the wires as close to the connector as possible all four at the same time, and gently pull toward you slightly upward. :)

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I did my surgery tonight. It was the first time I have ever done such a thing, took me nearly 2 hours. I did it the ifixit way, took everything out of that silver egg, everything. Surprisingly, everything went back together perfectly.

I've formatted the new drive and am now re-installing Lion. I know people have said this is the past, but I just never appreciated how hot the Mini runs.

11. ricardoflamingo macrumors member

That $3.95 HHD is a "system glitch". I'd call it bait n switch! I called them and asked.