Video Uploading to Facebook via FB App

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LightMast, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LightMast macrumors regular

Hey gang- trying to upload a video edited in iMove App to FB via the FB app.

First time it encoded, finished uploading, but did not appear on my facebook profile.

Second time the FB app crashed on upload.

Third time, same as first time.

Any ideas?

2. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

The third try worked- but the encoding was terrible. Although it is 1280x720, it is so heavily compressed it looks like a 1997 real video stream.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats facebooks issue, not the iphone or anything you can do about it.

4. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

This is stupid.

I can't even get this video off of my device. I imported via aperture and cant get it out of aperture.

I dont have iMovie installed as I have FCS and no use for iMovie. Or didn't. I tried image capture and it doesnt see the movie files, only stills.

Why put a 720p export option in the iMovie app if there is no practical way to get the video off of your phone?

What a joke. Way to go Apple, advertise your new device as 720p, yet make it completely impractical to take advantage of that feature.

5. LightMast thread starter macrumors regular

FB has re-encoded plenty of HD videos of mine and they look acceptable, this was re-encoded by the phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or maybe the facebook app on the iphone or their server.
    They probably did it so you dont have to wait 2 hours to upload a full HD video since they are quite large in size.
    Not sure if it will matter or if it will use a different encoding if you try to upload thru 3G or wifi.

7. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

Maybe it is that Facebook hasn't updated their app to support HD Video yet. I still waiting for iPad version of FB.

8. elmzzz macrumors newbie

try this...

instead of uploading a vid from your camera roll/library, upload a vid from your camera. obviously you won't be able to edit/trim it, but it will be uploaded in HD. it takes much longer too. not sure if it's an app requirement (i.e. compression prior to email or posting online) or an iphone requirement. hopefully enough people will complain and it will get fixed. :)