Video wallpapers continually running.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Aesop, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aesop macrumors member

I just noticed that video wallpapers don't really stop running, even when the phone is asleep or on the lock screen.

It doesn't seem to be using all that much power, but I thought i'd mention it here.

My usage and stand-by times are identical, while i've really only used the phone for a half hour or so(currently at around 5.5hrs usage and stand-by).

I tested my battery storage/strength while I was sleeping by not having my phone on the charger(usually sleep with it while charging) and roughly 8.5hrs later, I was still at 100%. In that instance, I did not have the video wallpaper enabled.

I'll see what happens tonight when I leave the phone off the charger and keep the video wallpaper there.

2. troyhouse macrumors 6502

Why did u create new thread for this, couldn't you have posted your "discovery" in the existing video wallpaper thread, where more people would have benefitted....

Stop cluttering everyone... If we don't stop this, forum might just become theme and wallpaper forum.

/rant

Btw... Good find, but I guess everyone knew about it....

3. choice macrumors regular

I stopped using the Tunnel wallpaper for this exact reason. However, it was draining my battery at a fast rate.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i haven't seen any difference in battery (altho, since jb'ing, my battery is draining faster than before).

why would you think the video is running when your phone is asleep?

5. Aesop thread starter macrumors member

Two things.

The vWallpaper thread is for discussing available vWallpaper sources, and this forum subsection is designed for my "cluttering" thread that stems from an "iPhone hack".

Your first statement is contradictory.

As for your question...
    "My usage and stand-by times are identical, while i've really only used the phone for a half hour or so(currently at around 5.5hrs usage and stand-by)."

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

easy, am not arguing anything; my battery usage has dropped since jailbreaking, but see no difference with vwallpaper running...or not.

how do you know it's running when the phone is asleep? just asking...

7. Aesop thread starter macrumors member

That comment makes more sense. Which vWallpaper do you use without noticeable battery issues?

It's running because the usage is the same as the standby, even though I hardly used the phone.

I went to sleep with a 100% battery, the phone was not on the charger and there was no vWallpaper. I woke up and my phone was still at 100%, the standby was roughly 8.5hrs and usage was a couple minutes(after I checked emails and such). After reading someone talk about doing this, I just wanted to see what mine used up overnight.

I intended to go on a "how long will my battery last" test, but I added the city light vWallpaper to show a friend when I got to work. This restarted the springboard and I still wanted to do some basic battery tests, so I had to recharge to 100% in order for the battery stats in settings to show up.

The only change I did was add the vWallpaper.

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

when i open my iphone, the vwallpaper app takes a second to engage, which suggests it's not running when the phone sleeps. just an observation...

i made some custom videos, so only running those, and...as of today, not running any of them; my day is hectic enough, don't want my phone hectic as well!

9. Aesop thread starter macrumors member

The vWallpaper on mine is running even before the folders get onto the screen, if you watch close you can see the icons travel to their spots.

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

the icons ALWAYS travel to their spots when you wake your phone...

there's no reason vwallpaper would be running your video if the phone is asleep, just as a screensaver doesn't run on your mac (or pc) when the computer sleeps...

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

12. Aesop thread starter macrumors member

Right, i'm not debating that. I mentioned it to illustrate that there is no "start up" time for the vWallpaper like you mentioned in regards to yours.

I don't know what to tell you. When I post again that my usage and standby times are identical even though I was sleeping, what then? After I post that fact, i'll remove the vWallpaper, charge to 100% again and post my findings.

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure using video wallpaper through vWallpapers doesn't run in the background, and definitely, not in sleep state. Don't know about video wallpaper through winterboard. I know phone gets much more warmer and battery drains much faster during regular usage.

If you want to run video wallpapers:
    vWallpaper = Yes
    Winterboard = No

14. Aesop thread starter macrumors member

Usage and standby were 8hrs, 27mins and my battery was at 83% when I woke up.

I think this is exactly it, as I don't run(and couldn't find) the vWallpaper app. I just saw a youtube video about having to add a certain source in Cydia to find it.

15. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I installed a video wallpaper via the /var/stash/themes_X method mentioned in other threads.

I noticed a bit of a slowdown (nothing terrible, I don't play a lot games or anything) and a bit of a drain on the battery.

It was all fine until I installed the "retina-capable" update to Doodle Jump. When I played the Retina levels, it was like playing the game in slow-mo.

Because the game ran fine on the normal levels, I was about to complain to the developer until I thought to turn off the theme. Instantly, the game ran fine.

Needless to say, that theme is now off. It was buggy anyway. I had to respring two or three times a day or else the stupid thing stopped animating.

16. choice macrumors regular

Can you add your own .mp4 video in vWallpaper? If so, how? I can't figure it out.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Got an idea to test this out. Will someone make an mp4 really quick that counts from 1 to 30 with one number passing each second. Wait for it to reach one, sleep the iPhone and come back in a few seconds and see what the number is. Report your findings please.

18. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

I have download and use others. Never tried making my own.

Where to put them: root/user/media/skrew/videos

Once you are in "videos" folder, you should see the rest of the videos found through vWallpapers.

19. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Don't think that will work. Just by going into apps and leaving. With vWallpapers, it seems the video restarts from beginning each time.

20. choice macrumors regular

I've tried to place my own video in that folder but I can't figure how to make it play. It doesn't even show up as an option when in the "Select video to play" page.

21. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Every video I have downloaded and put into that folder I was able to use them in vWallpaper. You probably need to make your video correctly, either size, resolution, amount of time or etc. I don't know what's require. Try google?